Prospective purchase with stifle issue...

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RedBranchRun, Feb 5, 2019.

1. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Looking at horses and I found a potential that really checks all the boxes, and is a complete babysitter type. Just a really nice solid horse. He is 10 years old, and used for open shows and ranch pattern classes.

He has a stifle issue. The owner says its a sticky stifle, or weak stifle. When he is not in full time work it is worse, but he warms up out of it. Picks up both leads just fine at the canter. Its the "stepping in a hole" type feeling while riding occasionally according to the owner. The owner has had it evaluated by a vet. She said she never had any issues at a show or any judges saying anything to her, but she decided to have it looked into after the show season. She told me he was insured so she was ready for surgical intervention or injections if needed. The vet told her the horse really was not a surgical candidate, and to keep him in work and it would get better. The horse has never had any other type of maintenance.

She just did a lot of winning with this horse even up through Oct. 2018, and the horse is really fun to ride. I just don't want to walk into something that is a very large risk.

My goals are some open shows, clinics, and maybe trail riding.

I will of course be doing a PPE as well. I just have never dealt with this type of issue. Just looking for opinions before i shell out the big PPE bucks! I know there is not much here to go on, but i figured i would see if I could get any input.Thanks!

2. slc

slc Senior Member

I would pass on the horse. I would be suspicious that she was selling because it was in fact a problem, regardless of what she said. People are not always honest about such things. I just looked at a horse that was advertised as '100% sound' and both stifles felt like a bag of hammers and the horse was lame in both hind legs. She kept the horse from looking really bad by not riding him often. 2 grand she wanted, and the horse was ruined.

And honestly, I don't know of any riding sport where a REALLY lame horse is allowed to compete, even with little local saddle club shows. And in fact, some riding sports will disqualify a horse even though he might only be 'slightly uneven.' Like dressage.

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

What did she say the diagnosis was?

Given the issues you have with your current horse I would look for a horse that at least starts out sound.
    You've already been through a lot with your guy, don't add the potential stress/heartache of another horse with soundness issues ..

4. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Thank you! I agree.
    No diagnosis. Just "weak or sticky." Nothing real.
    I feel more than a bit ridiculous for even considering something with a known issue.
    Due to him being so so broke and so so nice I started to think about it.
    Another heart over head decision! Not a good idea!

Puddincup, turnnburnlynx and ginster like this.
  5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

My trainer has a finished show horse that has an intermittent stifle issue. He's 20 and she still rides him every day with occasional goofy steps. If he's not a surgical candidate, it's not that serious. I would speak to that vet about the specs of why he's not a candidate. If he's what you want, I wouldn't let that stop you. Keeping him fit will help that as well. Get your PPE done and if that's all that shows up, I'd get him.

RedBranchRun likes this.
  6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I rehabbed a stifle injury quite successfully but it took years. I wouldn't go near the horse without a full pre purchase exam from a trusted vet.

RedBranchRun likes this.
  7. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

I'm a real marshmallow,but I'd turn him down. :( You need a good horse to ride,not one that is ready to crumble.

RedBranchRun likes this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

A slight stifle issues is not at all "ready to crumble".

RedBranchRun likes this.
  9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

This is a good point. Is it a stifle injury? Or is it just a stifle issue due to conformation of his rear legs. If there's an actual injury, that's a different situation.

Mcdreamer and RedBranchRun like this.
  10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I guess what I would do is speak to the vet that is currently treating him and ask for his records. If he is insured, he has to go to the vet every time his nose runs or the insurance won't pay if he dies, so if there was an injury, he was seen for it. After that I would take those records to MY vet and do a thorough PPE including in-depth looks at the stifle in question. If you really want him, I'd research and get some answers. If your'e kinda "eh" I would keep looking. To me, there's no reason to write him off if there's no injury and it doesn't get in the way of his performance.

RedBranchRun likes this.