Pros and Cons of Off Track Standardbreds?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kiesha, Jan 11, 2017.

1. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Here is his pedigree
    The Blood Bank - Pedigree

Last Start: Pace HoP 09/28/2016

Gait Record Starts 1st 2nd 3rd Earnings

Pace 3, 2:00.4 H 15 1 1 3 $ 10,934

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Do you mind going into your experience with ulcers? Or hindgut ulcers?

My guy has something. I'm thinking hindgut, so I've been treating with Equishure for two weeks now. He's so laid back that it is hard to see he's having issues. (But he is).

3. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

First, not a terrible pedigree, "old fashioned" he is missing the newer bloodlines but I love seeing these old pedigrees pop up, as much as I love the flash and speed of these newer lines, those old lines had stamina and could go for days!

His lifetime mark is 2:00 so soundness should not be an issue, he truthfully didn't go fast enough to get seriously hurt, which is a bonus for reschooling.

My OTSTB raced 124 starts and raced til his 9 yo year, he averaged a 1:58 mile on the trot which is respectable and in the circuit he was racing in, he cashed a few checks. He is also by a notoriously difficult stallion (Tagliabue) and his racing style didn't help his temperament. Beaux is prone to stressing which makes him more prone to ulcers, so I do supplement for his digestive health and knock on wood, it has been working for us.

For Beaux being a very serious "give it all" type, he is really laid back at times, and as he has aged, he is 15 now, he is having fewer "Tagliabue moments" and is enjoying his retirement finally. It took me a long time to figure out a lot of his undersaddle issues we had were from ulcers as he was so stoic about the pain. He wasn't an easy keeper, always had a slightly unthrifty look, very tense under saddle, and prone to biting my foot when I put a leg on. I finally broke down and started treating him for ulcers, I used Equisure for about 60 days, added alfalfa to his diet, and did 60 days of Smartpak Smartgut Ultra and then switched him over to the Smartdigest Ultra. He showed improvements after about 30 days or so of Equisure by filling out and not being so angry under saddle. I would say it took about 6 mos to get him close to 100% but he was showing constant improvement along the way.

I also put Beaux on low NSC feed, he is currently on Seminole's Wellness Perform Safe, his Smartpak is the SmartBugoff Ultra, and SmartOmega3 Ultra along with free choice t/a hay and 2-4 flakes of alfalfa a day. So far this routine has been working for him and I keep a sharp eye on his appearance and attitude for any changes.

Best of luck with your guy, he has a great look to him, keep us posted on how he is doing!!

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I have always wanted one, but I have refrained b/c I do not need just a trail horse. Unfortunately, the breed doesn't fit in to my discipline at the level I want.

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Thank you!!!!!!

He's currently on TC Lite, alfalfa, Equishure and all day hay. We are getting there. :)

I knew something was wrong when I'd try getting on and his ears folded further back than I'd ever seen. Also touchy around his girth area. We are making progress, but likely not pushing the riding for a bit longer.

It kind of bummed me out, to have to fix these issues, but he's only 4. I hope to have him for the rest of his life, so what's another month to wait in the grand scheme of 30 years?

6. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

I hear ya! I've had my guy 5 years and it seems we have finally just put all the pieces together and making progress. He is only 4 so you got plenty of time to get everything sorted out. Best of luck!!

Faster Horses likes this.
  7. apndi

apndi Senior Member

So standardbred experts, I have a question that might be kind of stupid. I rode my first standardbred today on a trail ride. I've seen him trot in the pasture today and he was a beautiful mover. Apparently he used to trot in harness. I rode him and his trot, dear god, never experienced anything like that in my life, i almost bounced off no joke! His trot is BIG with a lot of suspension. I kept telling him to just canter because his canter was really nice. But his trot was terrible, I could barely even post! And I've ridden some bouncy horses before!

So my question is, I know trots are an individual thing, but is his trot like that because he used to race at the trot? Is it just him or is it a trait in standardbred ex trotters? Asking just out of curiosity :)

manesntails likes this.
  8. LeenieBean

LeenieBean Senior Member

haha that's normal. One thing you will notice about standardbreds is that they have a very large free flowing shoulder that generally is not well conformed to be a riding horse. You end up feeling a lot of the movement of that shoulder when you ride, the suspension is the other part of it. If they haven't been retrained from driving adequately they tend to hollow their backs which means you're getting a lot more of that bounce transferred to you as well. With my OTSB (a pacer) I found different saddles made a big difference in how much was transferred. I do still laugh at the image in my mind of a friend who did literally bounce right off his back as he trotted out on a hack. How it started on an angle that just rotated sideways with each stride haha he didn't usually pace under saddle unless I put him on the dirt track and let him rock- but he was smooth at the pace.

apndi likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yep, they don't get conditioned properly to ride, they'll hollow and bounce you allllllll over the place.

10. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Dear lord. He put up with me pretty well. When I was told he was bouncy and to brace myself I thought they were exaggerating. NOPE. At one point I was yelling at the girl in front of me to slow down because her horse was cantering downhill and Chief decided to charge down the hill at a trot