Pros and Cons of Off Track Standardbreds?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kiesha, Jan 11, 2017.

1. DelP

DelP Senior Member

Did I miss it? How did the visit go? And another pic of my STB with a beginner. This is the 3rd time the friend had ever ridden a horse.

133361be6b2382bb927d759c51f1a0a5ac973213_r.jpg

2. heartland

heartland Senior Member

I miss my Standardbred mare so much... I've owned a few horses over the years (currently horseless at the moment) and she is the only one I really miss and wish I could get back. Best horse I've ever owned hands down.

3. heartland

heartland Senior Member

4. BeavisKali2

BeavisKali2 Full Member

Pros: Easy to work with, my mother who is scared of horses will handle my guy only. They tend to have great variation so you can find what you are looking for; my guy is bigger (16.1hh) and has been mistaken for a warmblood which makes me laugh. But my family has had some as small as 14.1hh and grey! They are easily trained once they understand what you are asking they seem to catch on fast. Not scared of traffic.
    Cons: There is some bad ones in every breed so make sure they are not flighty. I have met a few that were nutcases to jog, so those would not make good riding horses. On a whole though they do. Another con is the pace if you acquire a pacer; if you are not looking for an extra gait you have to train it out of them. My old boy however had a powerful floating trot, a slow rack, I could ask for a "race" horse pace if I wanted to, plus he was taught to canter and gallop under saddle. It was all about establishing a slightly different cue for each.

My old boy was my go-to trail horse. I got him when I was 10 (have had him 12 years) so of course did a bunch of crazy stuff with him! Could ride him on trails alone, bareback and double with a friend, standing up, took him to the beach etc etc. He's taught lessons, had beginners on him. He's basically a complete saint and I adore him. Attached a picture of my boy from last summer, he was 23 here.

Attached Files:

5. Cyrene

Cyrene Registered

I love my standardbred mare, she's ott ex-pacer. She's a bit of a diva, but she's sane and smart, and loves trails. Not a big fan of arenas. She's a big girl at 16.1. Here is her, with my morgan mare behind her:
    [​IMG]

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

He's gorgeous, but I'm a sucker for black.;)

BeavisKali2 likes this.
  7. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Ah, how time flies.

Since this thread started, I got a chance to get my own STB!

Their work ethic is incredible. I took my guy out line driving the other night, and he was upset when I asked him to turn back down our road to go home.

Cons? Well, I'm currently battling some digestive issues making him a hard keeper, but I'm 100% sure that will be resolved once his gut feels better.

He is a great horse with a lovely attitude, and SO gentle with my rambunctious 3 year old son.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am sorry but you do know that this is missing at least one pic, right?
    Yes, I know you already shared some but still.....

Idrivetrotter, DelP and Faster Horses like this.
  9. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Oh, twist my arm, why don't you.

20170320_210303.jpg

10. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Congrats!! He looks cute! Depending upon his background (OTSTB, Amish, or speed racking) he may have ulcers (my own OTSTB had ulcers and he is on Smartpaks) but once he had his ulcers treated he went from hard keeper to almost easy keeper.

Welcome to the world of Standardbred and if you are on Facebook there are some great groups that help with retraining and just general bragging. What are your plans for him? Breeding?

DelP likes this.