Pros and Cons of Off Track Standardbreds?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kiesha, Jan 11, 2017.

1. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Yeah he's a little out of condition. It was a pretty quick ride, a 1 hr trail ride through the woods. He's a boarders horse. Apollo had just gotten his teeth done and was quite loopy so I rode Chiefy instead. I like him, just not his trot!

2. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

Yep, that big floating trot can be a tough ride until either a) they learn collection or b) you decide to switch to gaited :)

My OTSTB (who is a trotter) has a beautiful trot but it took me a lot of work to get him to have a postable trot, but if I let him, he will slip way too easy into his "road trot". He also prefers to gait undersaddle, which I love and encourage on the trail. Beaux will trot if I post but will slip right into the rack/singlefoot and he can gait for miles. He is getting close to being able to hold the gait on a loose rein, but he really prefers contact so I just take a very light feel of his mouth and he will go into cruise control and just eat up the trail.

manesntails and apndi like this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I haven't ridden my STB yet, but we've had a lot of fun ground driving.

Last time, I took him out and really encouraged him to move out at the walk to see if he's getting close to falling into a gait (he is!) However, he also thought it was fun, then, to try and pick up the pace at a trot. He seemed all o_O(n):cautious: that I wouldn't let him do a big trot.

You know, because I would have been like a kite behind him.....

He is going to LOVE going for rides once we get his gut happy. Work is totally his thing.

Idrivetrotter and apndi like this.
  4. apndi

apndi Senior Member

Ok so it's not unusual that I couldn't even post? I felt like the most incompetent rider ever. It didn't help that I get a little nervous when riding new horses, and then I couldn't gain my balance for half the dang ride. I almost came off him at one point. I was legitimately freaked out. The only times when I felt comfortable was when he was walking or cantering.

Maybe i was riding his road trot. Because dang he was FAST. He moseyed along at a walk and then when he trotted it was like 0-100 in 1 second, no in between.

Despite the fact that I was nervous it was a pretty cool experience. I've always been fascinated with Standardbreds and never met or ridden one until him. I'd say generally it was a fairly positive experience, he was nice to ride in general and so patient and gentle to handle.

Idrivetrotter likes this.
  5. DelP

DelP Senior Member

My guy's road trot is a dream to ride once you get the knack of it. I usually tell people to ride Mongolian style (standing in the stirrups) or to sit the trot until they get the rhythm figured out. It doesn't help that he is a big trotter with a long reach. The rise and fall of the trot is much longer than what people are used to due to his huge length of stride.

I prefer to sit my STB's trot when I ask him to move out because it is so comfortable. I'll post at slower speeds, but if I ask him to move out I'll just sit back and enjoy.

apndi likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, most of your lower class barns with not the very best trainers, encourage too much speed when they jog their horse's, because they just don't know better. STBs should be jogged as slow as possible. That builds bone, muscle, tendon strength,wind and stamina. So, if you have one that goes from walk to fast trot or fast gait, you got one of those. You will have a long road getting that out of them since they've been expected to jog like that since the day they got the cart on them at two.

They're good to work with because they're worked with EVERY SINGLE day since they were at least long yearnings. The ones from the best breeding farms, like Hanover Shoe, were worked with since weaning. They come to their two year old training having already been harnessed, had their feet picked up, lead like broke horses, etc.
    This is what you get when you actually train a horse: read; consistently work with them daily, rather than muck around two or three times a week.

No, you aren't going to post a trot on a STB that's got no rider to condition and ride it properly. You just stand in your stirrups and let the horse trot a bit, or, better yet, sit down, feel his mouth and ask for a slow jog. Ride the hip motion, not the middle and the horse will come right up under you. But, when not fit, you only ask them for a few steps of that, then release them or you'll sore them up. Few strides at a time, walk, few strides, trot out, walk, few strides, etc. That's how you condition them to carry you. After a few months of that, 10 min dispersed over an hour's ride, increased slowly will get you a horse with a decent gait, be it trot or singlefoot, to ride.

This is just common sense and how you'd work a colt to carry you. He ain't been ridden, but he's broke to death; so, ride him like you're riding a colt: common sense.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Idrivetrotter and DelP like this.
  7. apndi

apndi Senior Member

That's really interesting. Like I said, i know nothing about Standardbreds. Also, he's not my horse, not sure if you caught that. It's a boarders horse that I got permission to ride for a quick 1 hr trail ride. I'm probably never going to ride him again anyway, I was just curious about his trot :) since his training isn't up to me, if I do have to ride him again, I'll try standing up in my stirrups. I was thinking about doing that yesterday but then I asked the girl riding with me if we could just walk for the rest of the way so I didn't get to try that.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Who knows, you might ride him again or you might end up with one in future. ;) Training advice is never a waste to write about. It's basic.

Idrivetrotter, DelP and apndi like this.
  9. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I've always thought it would be nice to have one, because I've heard such good things about them. I like the dead broke aspect. I could tell that he was dead broke, he didn't even care about anything I did lol. At one point I was on my knees by his front legs trying to figure out his complicated boots that his owner told me use and I looked up at him in the midst of the Velcro storm going on he was asleep. I'll keep what you said in mind, thank you

manesntails and DelP like this.