1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Pros and Cons of Off Track Standardbreds?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kiesha, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Kiesha

Kiesha Full Member

Going to look at a (seemingly) nice one tomorrow! Just want to give my brain a chance before I go and get my heart involved.
    http://prntscr.com/dujhz9

2. Sam C.

Sam C. Full Member

Looks like a cutie. I'm not familiar with Off Track Standardbreds. It looks like his left knee might be a little large, possibly an old injury? It could just be the camera angle, though.
    Good luck, & have fun!

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

He has some pretty extensive scarring on his left shoulder....make sure you pre purchase vet exam.

4. CessBee

CessBee Senior Member

Depending on whether he was a trotter or a pacer, you can sometimes have trouble getting a canter out of them under saddle.

Chester likes this.
  5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Summoning @DelP.....

Fancy That likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

There's no info on this one, but .............IN GENERAL, they are BROKE. TO. DEATH. So you will have theeeee most cooperative horse for handling that you've ever touched in your life.
    Who knows if he will be pacey or is a trotter. There's no info on that link.

I don't like he's grey. The skin cancer issue, you know. Look at MULTIPLE STBS before you pick one out. Don't just go look at this one, because once you handle him and see what a total sweetie he is going to be on the ground, you'll want him and you don't want to buy the first one you see. Right?

7. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Either the left knee is lumpy/off looking or it's the lighting/dirt. Get a PPE and look around like manes said.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Riosdad

Riosdad Full Member

I like the breed. Next to a arabian they are my favorite and would definitely look at one
    We have a off track grey one in the barn and he is gentle, kind, easy going
    The breed tends to be brave, powerful in the hind quarters for jumping and like people
    Go look at him and if you like how he feels to you give him a chance
    Good luck

Fancy That likes this.
  9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I LOVE off-track Standardbreds. They are broke, calm and so, so sweet. Nothing phases my mare and I've shown her some pretty wild things. I can practically drag a hose up and over her and she doesn't even flinch. Plastic bags are not an issue and to check her breathing once (a fit test for heaves), the vet actually put a white plastic bag over her muzzle. My mare decided that it would be a great time to take a nap. She'll stand where I tie her for hours and has the patience of a saint. She has wonderful manners, knows all about personal space and seems to watch where she puts her feet. In 6 years, she's never, ever stepped on my foot or even bumped me by accident. After she was retired from the track, she spent about 12 years as a broodmare. Then she spent a bunch of years in a field, looking pretty. I threw a saddle on her at 21 years old, and had a trainer put a couple rides on her. The first ride was basically walking around a round pen. The second ride moved to the big arena. The third ride was in the big pasture and the fourth was a trail ride. After that, she became the best trail horse I'd ever ridden. Calm, steady and completely unflappable. Her idea of a spook is to raise her head and snort at the offending item and then carry on.

My next horse will be another off-track Standardbred. I may be biased, having worked on the track with them for so many years, but I believe they are definitely one of the best breeds in the world. I've never met a Standardbred I didn't like, and that's saying something... because I am extremely picky about horses. But all of them have impeccable manners and that's important to me. They're majorly forgiving and sensible. They're highly cooperative and have such an extreme work ethic. Just fantastic.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's what 7 days a week handling and 6 days a week going out on a cart for exercise gets ya in a horse: Broke to death and you can just saddle up for the first time ever, and ride them.

Fancy That and Idrivetrotter like this.