1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Proper Horse Trailer Size

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by spc, Apr 30, 2008.

1. spc

spc Registered

Hello to any readers. I have bought my first horse and now am trying to buy the proper trailer. The horse is percheron tb cross and is 16.1. My trainer and seller told me I needed a trailer of 7'6" height. I have heard from others that 7' would be enough. Thank you all for any insight you may provide.

2. Tori*AKA*WooHoo

Tori*AKA*WooHoo Senior Member

I don't know if this helps any, but my 15.1hh quarter horse needs a minimum of 6'6" trailer, she would probably fit better in a 7' though. I think you may be good either way. Do you have any pics of your horse? Is he/she stocky or more fine boned?

3. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member

i use to have a 7ft trailer and my 16 horse fitted in it just fine

4. luckydragon

luckydragon Senior Member

I have a 16.1 hh TB gelding and a 16.2 hand TB gelding and they both fit great in a 7' trailer. I just got a 6'6" two horse gooseneck and both of the horses fit in that one also. But I am only ok with the 6'6" because neighter of my horses throw their head up. Even for a 16.1 hand TB cross that is stocky and 7' should be just fine.

5. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

:) I am one of those who believe that bigger is always better....:D
    No matter what size the seller says the trailer is...be sure to take a good tape measure with you and get inside and do some measuting of your own! :wink:

Look at it from a horse's point of view....:D

6. foxyfuzz

foxyfuzz Senior Member

I am also in the market so this is a great question for me to subscribe to. In my opinion taller is better.