Proper Horse Trailer Size

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by spc, Apr 30, 2008.

1. spc

spc Registered

Hello to any readers. I have bought my first horse and now am trying to buy the proper trailer. The horse is percheron tb cross and is 16.1. My trainer and seller told me I needed a trailer of 7'6" height. I have heard from others that 7' would be enough. Thank you all for any insight you may provide.

2. Tori*AKA*WooHoo

Tori*AKA*WooHoo Senior Member

I don't know if this helps any, but my 15.1hh quarter horse needs a minimum of 6'6" trailer, she would probably fit better in a 7' though. I think you may be good either way. Do you have any pics of your horse? Is he/she stocky or more fine boned?

3. mustang_dodger

mustang_dodger Senior Member+

i use to have a 7ft trailer and my 16 horse fitted in it just fine

4. luckydragon

luckydragon Senior Member+

I have a 16.1 hh TB gelding and a 16.2 hand TB gelding and they both fit great in a 7' trailer. I just got a 6'6" two horse gooseneck and both of the horses fit in that one also. But I am only ok with the 6'6" because neighter of my horses throw their head up. Even for a 16.1 hand TB cross that is stocky and 7' should be just fine.

5. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator

:) I am one of those who believe that bigger is always better....:D
    No matter what size the seller says the trailer is...be sure to take a good tape measure with you and get inside and do some measuting of your own! :wink:

Look at it from a horse's point of view....:D

6. foxyfuzz

foxyfuzz Senior Member

I am also in the market so this is a great question for me to subscribe to. In my opinion taller is better.