Pricing help, please.

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Mirage, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Me and my boyfriend are starting a side business making leather products that my boss doesn't want to make. Or making products that my boss won't customize the way people want. (My boss knows and is ok with it. He just wants 10% of what we make if it's made in his store.)
    My problem is, I can't do pricing. I don't mind going a little cheaper than average, but we need to make money too. And I definitely don't want to over price.

I'm going to add pictures in the next few posts with a basic description. Everything is handmade, cut, tooled and dyed. Real leather, no cheap junk!

Even if you would never buy these products, please give an estimate of what you would pay or charge. Thank you!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Tooled chaps. The leather for the main part of the chaps is sealed with bear fat so its water resistant. The belt, pockets, and accents are hand tooled and dyed.

[​IMG]

Left side of belt tooling.
    [​IMG]

Right side of belt tooling.
    [​IMG]

Pockets. Both sides the same.
    [​IMG]

Accents. Both sides the same. The lighter part was left plain so whomever buys it can have their initials stamped into it.
    [​IMG]

VermilionStrife likes this.
  3. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Ostrich chaps. Custom made to order. The ostrich is print on cow leather, not real ostrich. Fringe is hand cut.

[​IMG]

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm clueless on it but I'd check comparable prices and add ten to fifteen percent to cover the amount back. Remember you're going to be paying taxes on this so don't skimp.

Make sure fine details are done also..like the snap on the one, make your designs where details aren't affected by issues like that cutting into the design and do perfection. You are selling yourself with every single thing you make. You'll get a good following.;)

5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Trifold wallet.
    This specific one was custom made to hold 16 cards and has 2 cash slots.
    Can easily be made with less card slots.

Front
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

Side. It it full with 16 cards and some cash. I'm not squeezing it together. That's how thick it is full.
    [​IMG]

6. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Wall plaques. I have permission to post the one with the name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Nose bands.

Tooled and dyed. Conchos with chicago screws on back so they can be attatched to nylon halters.
    [​IMG]

Ostrich inlay nose bands.
    [​IMG]

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I'd start by figuring out the cost of your materials then figuring out the time you spend on each project. Decide what your time is worth and come up with a figure based on those things.

Then compare that figure to comparable work on the market. If your figure is way off either up or down, adjust accordingly. But don't sell your time short.

I'll be honest. I think your tooling and detail work is very nice but I'd want anything I bought to have finished edges as well.

lucky_pine, ILuvMyAppyQH, CJ and 5 others like this.
  9. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Breast collars. These are custom made.

The lighting gives this one a bad color. The next picture is the same breast collar, just better lighting. Basket weave tooling. For reference, it took a good 2 hours to tool it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one made for our business.
    [​IMG]

10. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

Normally everything does have finished edges. My boyfriend rushed and got ahead of himself with the tooled chaps. He sewed everything on before the edges were finished and before I was able to dye it.:mad: I was upset about that and told him never again.