Price of replacing billet straps?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by rileynbob, Dec 14, 2009.

1. rileynbob

rileynbob Senior Member

Looking at a saddle for resale that needs billet straps replaced on it. There are several local tack shops that can do it, but what is the average price of getting them replaced?

2. faroutfax

faroutfax Senior Member+

It was $60 to have two of mine re-stitched. It would have been another $10/billet if I wanted new ones put on :) So its definately worth it if the saddle is in otherwise good condition and is selling for a good price :)

3. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member+

Replace billets (4 long) $125.00
    Replace billets (6 short) $125.00
    Replace/install point billets $135.00 (on a dressage saddle)

Those are prices off the Internet and that + shipping is what you'd typically pay an regular saddler or somebody like National Bridle Shop. The Amish here will replace a set of 6 for typically $60 or so.

4. rileynbob

rileynbob Senior Member

I looked again and it is missing two straps on one side. it is a 17 inch crosby PDN. Tree appears to be sound and everything, she wants $35 for it. Here is a picture of it.
    [​IMG]

5. BoesMom

BoesMom Senior Member

I would say for $35 it is worth it! The saddle also looks like it will need to be reflocked aswell though :/

6. rileynbob

rileynbob Senior Member

I will see if I get it for that price, I know of an awesome tack repair shop that charges really cheap prices for great repair jobs. I had a nice leather halter that was falling apart and I thought wasn't savable but they rescued it and made it like new-for $3:)

It's at Lebanon Raceway if anyone in the area needs a great place for tack repair.

I really was drawn to this saddle because it is exactly like the one I learned to jump in, only this one is in better shape, lol. It isn't my kind of saddle but I know a lot of people love the PDN.

7. faroutfax

faroutfax Senior Member+

For $35 I'd say go for it :D It is probably worth replacing the billets on it. Its hard to tell from this angle if it needs restuffing, but it might. But if you know of a good place to get it done it would porbably be worth doing :)

8. Huntseat

Huntseat Senior Member+

I had mine done for free by a friend, he had it fixed by the next morning. Given that, I would assume that it is a pretty simple, quick procedure that probably isn't too pricey.

9. rileynbob

rileynbob Senior Member

ugh, got outbid by 2 cents with 2 seconds left in the auction.:flaming: Now I remember why I hate ebay.