Previcox for the Navicular horse

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Huntseat123, May 24, 2013.

1. Huntseat123

Huntseat123 Senior Member+

My horse was recently diagnosed with navicular (On the 14th) He was on bute, but it didn't seem to help his pain. We are switching to previcox. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the drug?

2. mrs.white8389

mrs.white8389 Senior Member

Only with a dog after a surgery and a broken leg it never helped with the swelling with the broken leg so i used ibprouphen. the surgery...never knew if it worked because she went through a spay at 3 a horrible experience and she was in pain for a week so cant tell you if it works at the correct dosages for the reasons its given.

3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member+

Previcox is an osteo-arthritis drug made for use in dogs. There is an equine version that is called equiox.

I will be honest here, and say that the 2 are exactly identical except for the strength each tab is made of, and the price that is charged for each one. The canine version is much cheaper on a per mg basis than the equine version. That said, it is illegal (at least here in a Canada) to sell the canine version for use on an equine.

Now all that said, I've seen this drug work some pretty fantastic miracles......though NOT for navicular.

4. firegurl979

firegurl979 Senior Member+

it worked great when my boy broke his leg.

5. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member+

My vet gave me previcox to use on my arthritic mare years ago and he made a point of telling me it was for dogs, same stuff, a lot less money. Worked quite nicely. No experience with its efficacy with navicular. Good luck - I hope something helps him over the hump and he's not in a very bad way.

Navicular is not nice.

6. 2006reswc

2006reswc Banned

You do need to be careful with it, if drug testing is a concern. However, I do not think it is going to help you with the navicular. There are other drugs some of them are injections, that will be of more help. Navicular horses need a careful maintenance program with their feet and each horse is different on what works best. Since you say your horse was recently diagnosed, what is your vets directions to the farrier and what shoeing has been tried already. What did the xrays show?

7. Patty Stiller

Patty Stiller Senior Member+

I have not had experience with that drug but as to using drugs in general for that poroblem, I would change the shoeing instead.

MOST vets and farriers miss the mechanical cause of the problem in the first place. Unfortunately.
    Get proper mechanical relief instead of just using drugs.
    Nearly always in navicular issues the cause is internal hoof misalignment, imbalances and especially man made *leverage* on the ground surface. So fix the cause .

1 person likes this.
  8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

yes, fix the balance issues of the foot.... then if the horse is still not comfortable, look into other options.

1 person likes this.
  9. Huntseat123

Huntseat123 Senior Member+

Hi all, let me just start out by saying, I am a vet tech. I work in small animal medicine and I know that previcox is for dogs and equioxx is for horses, but they are the same thing, just packaged differently. My horse is on Previcox 57mg once a day, starting today. To keep him comfortable until we find a good balance of shoes and heel length for him.

As far as the shoeing goes, he had just been trimmed 1 week prior to his diagnosis. We did put corrective shoes on with a gel pad (natural balance shoes plus horse trax pad), and so far they haven't helped, BUT he was also just trimmed, so there wasn't much manipulation that could be done with his feet, all we really could do was throw the shoes on.

It has been at least 5 years since he has had shoes on, and he was awful for the farrier when we set the shoes this time around. So awful he had to be sedated. I think some of it was pain, but some was him being naughty. IF I am going to have to fight with him to put shoes on him each time, he will not be wearing shoes. It is not worth the stress, and not worth sedating him each time.

10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member+

He will get over the shoeing..... don't stop using them if they can help him just because he's naughty. work with him instead