Preventative joint injections?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by StraightandTrue, Jul 9, 2018.

1. StraightandTrue

StraightandTrue Senior Member

I been reading some interesting articles on preventative injections for joint disease in performance horses. A friend of mine recently had to retire her performance horse at the tender age of 12 due to degenerative osteoarthritis and it's really got me thinking about preventative measures. I'm investing a lot of time and effort into training my horse so it makes sense to protect that investment by ensuring she remains sound. It's early days yet as she's rising 6 and has only been in work for 12 months, but we're starting to step things up now and everything I've read about joint injections states that they're far more effective if administered before the damage occurs (or in the very early stages).

A couple of the articles I've read:
    Managing Your Horse’s Joints with Injections - Dressage Today
    Systemic Equine Joint Therapy: Choosing Wisely - Three Oaks Equine Veterinary Services

Does anyone out there give their young horses preventative joint injections and if so:
    • which ones do you give?
    • when do you start?
    • what is the approx. cost per dose?
    • what is the short and long term effectiveness?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Non-steroidal such as HA or any other non-steroidal to increase joint lubrication is not harmful. Steroids are end of the road injections: the more you give them, the less they work. We use them only as last resort for cronic lameness, not good as a preventative.
    Oh they work well and Dr. Needles will suggest them as a quick fix, but there is nothing stronger to go to once those no longer work.

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I've been doing the Adequan 7 dose protocol every 6 months on my daughters very hard working dressage horse for 10 years he is now 15 years old and I believe they have helped him remain sound.

manesntails and StraightandTrue like this.
  4. StraightandTrue

Yeah, I wouldn't be jumping to steroid-based products for a young horse that has no pre-existing joint conditions. They recently brought out a product called Pentosan Evolution in Australia which is a blend of active ingredients:
    • N-acetyl glucosamine 120mg/mL
    • Sodium hyaluronate 3mg/mL
    • Pentosan polysufate sodium 75mg/mL
    The formula for the original Pentosan was just Pentosan polysufate sodium 250mg/mL. Then they brought out Pentosan Gold which had Pentosan polysufate sodium 125mg/mL and N-acetyl glucosamine 200mg/mL. The latest formula has the lowest concentration of active ingredients so far, but includes sodium hyaluronate albeit at a comparatively low concentration of 3mg/mL.

Pentosan is an intra-muscular injection so I can do it myself rather than having to pay for a vet each time, but other sodium hyaluronate injections I've seen such as Halo (which is similar to Legend in the US) are intravenous so I'm wondering if this reduces effectiveness?

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I would like to see more evidence that preventative HA injections prevent unsoundness. I don't know how a study could be designed that would create that evidence.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Intraveinous just makes for immediate results. IM injections has farther to travel to get to the joint so, takes longer. I would stick with IM.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I really do t want to go into a joint unless there are no other options as there are risk involved ... and I like that the IM Adequan has a benefit of helping all joints not just 1.

StraightandTrue and manesntails like this.
  8. StraightandTrue

I feel the same. Although low, there is a risk of joint infection when doing intra-articular so I would prefer something less invasive, especially as it's a preventative measure.