Prep for first show?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by monte26, Jan 5, 2019.

1. monte26

monte26 Registered

I’m showing for the first time (well, I used to show when I was 8 but it’s been like 10 years haha) in about a month (fingers crossed that I can afford it)! I’m super excited. I’ll probably be doing low training jumpers or something like that, or maybe arena eventing. I don’t own or lease so I’ll be taking on of our school horses. Anyways, I can handle the practice and lessons with my trainer, but i need some help with what I need before the show.
    I already have a show coat, breeches, and a saddle and basic tack like that, (I also have tall boots but the calf is a little small so I have to figure that out...) but I need to know what else to purchase. I don’t have my own brushes, so should I go buy some? What else should I look into? Thanks!!

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

What are you showing in?

bobo and horses likes this.
  3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Is the instructor not taking you? You are going by yourself with a lesson horse?

bobo and horses likes this.
  4. monte26

monte26 Registered

I’m not totally sure yet, but I’ll definitely be jumping and probably no dressage unless I have to.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. monte26

monte26 Registered

No she’s taking me along wth a bunch of other girls so I have all the basic stuff that she provides, plus all the tack needed for the specific horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I wouldnt worry too much about it then. Just show clothes and stuff to do your hair and makeup.

Alsosusieq2 and mooselady like this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Best person to ask is your instructor, most of them have quite particular preferences when traveling to shows. No point buying stuff if it’s provided.

8. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Comfortable well fitting boots if you're questioning your boots. But those are expensive if you're worried about being able to afford the show anyways. Perhaps ask your trainer if there is anything you can do at the show to discount the cost of it such as chores, clipping, grooming, cleaning tack, etc.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good advice ML.

10. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

Useful boots are the way to go. eBay.