Pregnant Mares showing

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Goonhorse, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member+

I know it depends on the mare, but approx. when do mares start to show that they're pregnant? Or maybe the better question to ask was, when did you notice that your mare looked pregnant?

Of course, Breez already looks like she's pregnant, but considering that she isn't quite 3 months along, I don't think it's baby. :no:

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

I think I first noticed when Tiff was at about 7-9 months...let me look back at some of my pictures. :)

Here she is open - (this year)

[​IMG]

She was bred in August of 06 and foaled July 07...

Here she is February of 07 (six months in foal)

[​IMG]

march

[​IMG]

april

[​IMG]

may

[​IMG]

June

[​IMG]

She foaled the next day after this picture -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. Broken A Ranch

Broken A Ranch Senior Member+

I have one mare who swells up and looks like she swallowed a tank I swear the second she realizes she is pregnant.. easily showing at 2-3 months. Then I have another mare who just looks very well fed until about month 8 and suddenly she is mondo pregnant

4. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member+

Well, maybe it's more than just fat--but I kinda don't think so. :rolleyez: Not all of it, anyway. She has a good layer of fat on her ribs. I try to limit her grass. :eek:

Heather: It sounds funny, but I can't wait until Breez starts to show. It'll seem so much more like she's actually pregnant! I would say Breez looks a little skinnier than Tiff's March photo. :rolleyez:

I think Breez's due date (or, at 340 days, I think) is June 7th. That would be cool if her baby and Ember's birthday were exactly a month apart. :)

5. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

I was really excited when I was waiting for Tiff to show. I even made a thread about it to see if I was 'seeing things' ;) It didn't seem real to me either until there was something tangible. I totally know how you feel! (I added a picture of her 'not pregnant' too)

6. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member+

:eek: Do you know what I just realized, and can't believe I didn't think about it before?? Goon and Khavele's due dates are exactly a month apart! How cool is that?? :D

7. scaputo

scaputo Senior Member

I start seeing a difference around 7 months???? By about 9 months, you should know for sure...you will see the foal moving at this time.... :)

8. Goonhorse

Goonhorse Senior Member+

(Do you know how weird it is talking to your sister over the Internet??) I looked and it's actually June 4th. But we could say it's June 7th since it's not really an official date anyway. But that little wheel thing that Neil had? I think it said that she would foal May 25th.

9. Blondehorse

Blondehorse Senior Member+

Yes! :D

Aw, and here I was so excited. Oh, well, it's highly unlikely that they would actually be BORN exactly a month apart. :rolleyez: :p