Pregnant mare fell down!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ryu2832, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ryu2832

ryu2832 Senior Member+

I had someone help with chores in the afternoon. It did not go well.

He decided to do me a 'favor' and do some training on my broodmares. Long story short, one of my 9mo along mares fell down on a patch of cement.

I checked her out when I got home from work and she is a little stiff on the right hock and hip, but she seems ok. No bleeding or fluid from her vagina.

She eating and is up moving around and alert. I pretty much decided she's ok, but now I am getting paranoid.

From what I can get out of the person she tried to back away and her hind feet slid under her. She landed on her right rump and then went the rest of the way down.

I'm just completely in shock that this happened.

2. bay_blnd jmpr07

bay_blnd jmpr07 Senior Member+

I'd call the vet and explain everything that happened(like how fast and hard she came down) and see what the vet says...I hope everything turns out perfectly fine!!

3. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

How far along is the mare?

4. bay_blnd jmpr07

bay_blnd jmpr07 Senior Member+

I think it says 9 months...so far LOL

5. MissBandit

MissBandit Senior Member+

gee, I gotta slow down today. Since she is that far along I would deffintely give the vet a ring just in case. Never hurts to be extra careful.

6. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

I would go along with the vet call too, but I would be more concerned with her legs. The way you describe her falling... my mare fell and bowed her tendon once. I've read that the foals are pretty protected in their momma's bellies. I even read about this guy that took his prego mare camping (I can't remember how far along she was) and somehow she spooked and fell and rolled down a hillside. She ended up having the foal fine.:)