Pregnancy Seizures?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by emali06, Jan 11, 2018.

1. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

A video was posted on facebook recently of a pregnant mare that was having what appeared to be a massive seizure in her stall. Her legs were collapsing, she was throwing herself all over the stall when she tried to get up. At a point or two she laid on her side, legs out stiff and eventually she ended with her face in the corner, breathing heavily.

I don't want to post the video but I'm sure anyone can find it.

The vets said it was a seizure caused by pregnancy hormones.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Has it happen to your mare?

Should the mare be bred again?

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

We had a cow that died of a massive stroke that was, in a round about way, caused by her pregnancy. I don't remember the details, but somehow the pregnancy hormones did a thing, which did another thing, which caused the clot. Closest I've ever seen.
    Personally? If there was even a slight chance that the seizures would happen again, I'd abort the foal and never breed the mare again. A seizing 1200lb animal is dangerous as all heck.

3. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Some commented about that but she is pretty far along so its dangerous for the mare to abort that late, not to mention unethical.

manesntails likes this.
  4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I have heard of mares with nutritional deficiencies and imbalances having seizures. I had a pregnant mare choke that was slamming herself all over her stall and on the ground, it was one of the scariest things I've seen.... I have not heard of hormone seizures...but anything that gets the body chemistry out of whack enough can cause a seizure.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Eh, dangerous and unethical are relative. It would have to be a serious discussion if the pregnancy is advanced, but it is dangerous and unethical to let the mare kill herself or a person. Lots of factors to consider, and a hard choice no matter what.

Serenity06 likes this.
  6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Its a hope and a prayer situation. Personally I wouldn't breed the mare again. If you can find the video, you can see how she could have very easily injured herself.

Alsosusieq2 and Serenity06 like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

How many times had she seized before? I don't really want to watch the video, I know it will be upsetting...

8. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

What breed? I wonder if it was a HYPP mare and the pregnancy hormones sent that into overdrive.

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Mare is 5 panel Negative and was tested twice by two different places. She appears to be an appaloosa.

10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I don't know how many times previously. That very well may have been the first one.