Pregnancy/ Mom support thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by IslandPony89, Feb 14, 2019.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Yup, it's a good thing I have an appointment today. My toes look like little sausages and my socks are now leaving indentations on my ankles. One of my toes is so swollen that my nail was digging into the side and it's all red and puffy now. I checked my BP and it was.... not good lol. Slightly over the cut off for preeclampsia. It probably doesn't help that I had an incredibly busy day at work yesterday and was up on my feet for almost the whole 12 hours. I am supposed to work tomorrow and Sunday too, but I'm wondering if she will let me. I'm 38w tomorrow, so I wouldn't be surprised at this point if she set up a day for induction for me. Who knows. I'll keep you all posted!

ginster likes this.
  2. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

I think the more important question to ask is will you be allowed to move for the pushing stage. If it’s important to you, asking people with experience delivering at that hospital is more important because doctors and nurses commonly lie. I’m not sure if this is on purpose or if it’s that doctors/nurses like to think they are accommodating and aren’t. This is one of those things that a doula with experience delivering at the hospital is helpful for.

ginster and NBChoice like this.
  3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Yep, good point. I work at the hospital I'm delivering at and I actually did my final clinicals in the OB department during nursing school years ago, so I have an idea of what it's like there. I also know a couple people that work in the OB department there. They are pretty accommodating for the most part, but I know once my water breaks I won't be allowed to be up and moving around in big ways. Which is pretty standard as far as I know from other hospitals too. But before my water breaks I'm allowed to be up and moving as their monitors are cordless and water proof. Moving around during pushing isn't too important to me, except for minor position changes if I'm uncomfortable. But I don't plan to be walking around the room during pushing or anything like that.

harli36 likes this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

As said above, your post was regarding bonding, and experience. Not a word about health benefits. There are plenty of healthy cesarean babies. Whether they have allergies or obesity is simply a coincidence.

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

@NBChoice exciting!! If your blood pressure is up, perhaps its time to slow down and work a little less?

NBChoice likes this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

My sister was half lying over the bed with her upper body when my niece was born. Not planbed but everything went so quickly..if Lou didn't have her hand up nextcto her face my sister wouldn't have needed stitches. As it was she was pretty much healed after three days so it was pretty minimal and didn't hurt her much.
    She scooped Lou up and laid down with her, Lou basically nursing from minute one. I don't know if it was because of that or pure chance but her womb shrunk back to nearly its usual size within a day. Really fast...
    So basically, after a ****ty pregnancy, my sister had a dream birth.
    I am wishing you ladies a similar experience with all my heart.

NBChoice likes this.
  7. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

@NBChoice if your BP is up, you probably already know you most likely won’t be able to work anymore till after delivery. And if it gets higher and higher, they’ll do to you what they did to me- emergency csection. At least your baby is further along!
    Mine was only 31 weeks. Scary stuff, please take high BP as serious as possible. (Not at all saying you aren’t) ;););)

NBChoice and ginster like this.
  8. heartland

heartland Senior Member

^I was on my hands and knees for my second birth. 100% recommend it.

With my first, there were some complications and it was a fast and furious nightmare lol. I honestly can’t even remember a lot of it. No time for drugs, just had to get baby out NOW. I was on my back and was in so much pain, I couldn’t push at the correct times. Ending up needing forceps for delivery.

But I just had my second baby 4 months ago and it was so different. I was alert the whole time and able to push the baby out on all fours, it made so much difference for me tearing wise. I had a third degree tear with my first and zero tearing with my second.

Just do what you’re comfortable with, all of you! There is no right or wrong.

NBChoice and ginster like this.
  9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I was sent over to the hospital triage from the office. BP was high enough with the swelling in my legs that my doctor was concerned and wanted me over here to be checked out. No protein in my urine so probably not preeclamptic, just gestational hypertension. Apparently I'm having contractions, but I can't feel them.

Pending my lab work I may stay overnight and be induced in the morning. We shall see what happens.

10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Sounds a lot like how mine went. No protein, swollen feet and ankles, elevated BP, but not every symptom for preeclampsia. They just called my case an unusual case of it since I did have some symptoms.
    It all happened so fast. I don’t think I ever want to go through that again.

NBChoice likes this.