Pregnancy and job interview

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBChoice, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM.

1. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I'm sort of torn here.
    I hate my current job, so I applied for a few others and was called today to set up an interview next Tuesday.
    At that time ill be just over 12weeks pregnant. I know technically its illegal to discriminate against a pregnant person when it comes to a job, but we all know it still probably happens... they just don't give you the job for a "different" reason.
    My current boss knows I'm pregnant and it's not a secret really. The position I'm interviewing for is within the same organization, but it's a different floor of the hospital. My current boss and the new boss dont have anything to do with each other, so it's not like they talk to each other.

SO I'm torn on whether or not I should mention my pregnancy in the interview or let it ride until (if) I start the new job? I'm leaning towards not mentioning anything, but wanted other opinions.

2. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

When I left one job and went into another I mentioned it. I had no problems getting hired at the new job

If it’s the only thing they have on you to not hire you it’s discrimination. Often it becomes harder to prove if they say “you weren’t qualified for the job”

3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I was honest about it in my job interview, but it was only a PRN position. He told me "we're not supposed to ask".

I'm torn on what to tell you though. When does the maternity leave begin after employment?

4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I'm due march 30. So maternity leave wouldn't be for 6ish months depending on when I transfer to the new job.

5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Since they are not supposed to ask, I would not volunteer that information. I would not lie if they did ask but they ar not supposed to.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

This. Do not volunteer the information.

Alsosusieq2, equinitis and NBChoice like this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would tell them upfront about the pregnancy. If they do discriminate these are not the people that you want to work for and probably not going to be a good fit for a working mom. A good employer will also appreciate and respect that you were upfront about it in the interview.

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I wouldn't volunteer the information. It's simply not relevant. And if they asked, I would respond with, "Excuse me?" and a blank look.

Alsosusieq2, equinitis and ginster like this.
  9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I was solicited for a job when I was pregnant, I was upfront that I would be taking 3 months off and had a contract that required me to go back to current job for 3 months and I actually told them they should probably hire someone else and even gave them some names….but they chose to hold the job….

10. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I'm afraid that they will just find a different person so that they don't have to deal with maternity leave and what not. I'm a nurse, and new nurses will be graduating in a few months so there wont be a shortage of new applicants soon.
    On one hand I feel like it's not pertinent to the interview and I'll be setting myself up for a loss if they decide that it's too much of a hassle. On the other I dont want to start out on the wrong foot either. I wouldn't be deceitful as I'm not hiding it, in my opinion. I don't know.

ginster and mooselady like this.