Pre-bagging powdered supplements to feed...any tricks?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Martini!, Jul 16, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I'd look into a Tupperware, they have all kinds of sizes, and you should definitely be able to find something that will fit what you are looking for. We often re-use the sour cream and bigger yogurt containers (the ones that have a lid) as Tupperware, and I've re-used a LOT of baby food jars, both plastic and glass, for various things.

Martini! likes this.
  2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Mine gets Triple Crown Senior, so not pellets and they have just enough molasses to make the grain stick together and the powder. Maybe try another grain if she is not sensitive to certain grains.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Most of tupperware's containers have tops that you have to pop off. I think a coarse thread screw off top is actually easier and faster, and you're less likely to dump the contents on the barn floor.

GONE ROPING and Martini! like this.
  4. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Can the barn staff just add a bit of water? When I fed powder, I would just add a splash of water from the water bucket right on top of the power and then jiggle the feed pan around the mix it a bit. Doesn't take more than 30 seconds.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I have good luck with My LMF Senior having just enough molasses to hold powder on the pellets. As long as you're not mixing in a lot of it, the grain can probably hold it if it's mixed and not just dumped. My horse prefers pellets and will eat almost anything in pellet form, but will avoid powder.

Martini! likes this.
  6. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

She might eat bread, but I think it would get moldy even out of the sun in our extreme heat. It can get to be 115 degrees, and when it's cooler (like right now in the 90's) it tends to get humid. :/

Unfortunately this doesn't come in pellet form, and I have been told by several people it's the best for what I need. It's One AC.

Thanks for these suggestions! I would not have thought about mineral oil, and I could definitely mix in a little of a feed that stickier or oilier that the powder would stick to better I think...

No, they won't do that, but I tried that myself yesterday actually and my horse didn't like it. I think the dry powder is less noticeable to her than when it was wet, because she rejected it that way!

NaeNae likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Interestingly, lots of horses don't like soaked food. And moisture might intensify the flavor or smell of a supplement, making it seem unfamiliar. Usually I don't find that problem with oil or molasses.

8. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

That seems to be the case, and it makes sense, the flavor being intensified. She seems to have gotten used to the powder a bit more now though, because I don't notice her trying to avoid it as much and seems to be eating most of it. I soaked her pellets in a Guinness beer the other day (I keep getting told this helps them start sweating) and surprisingly she didn't have a problem eating that!

slc likes this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I recently switched April over to TCS when she was started on the Doxy. She really likes it. I started adding Aloe juice, so no way to eat around the supplements now. Lol

LoveTrail likes this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Random thought keeping in mind I have no idea how many supplements your feeding.

Could you mix it all together in 1 bin and just have a scoop? Sure it won’t be 100% even amounts of each supplement, but over the 2 weeks period he would receive everything.

I suggest this, as it’s something I did when I had 2-3 supplements for the horses and it worked out fantastically! Horses all had the desired results, were happy and it was SO SO easy for anyone feeding.