Pre-bagging powdered supplements to feed...any tricks?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Martini!, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

Any tips on the best way to put a powdered supplement into pre-portioned baggies for feeding and making sure your horse actually eats the powder? My horse isn't particularly picky, but her other supps are pellets, and I worry that the powder just falls to the bottom and she doesn't get much of it.

My barn requires these be pre-made and ready to feed in front of your horse's stall, so things that require daily prep other than just pouring it into their feeder is not an option (and I can't be there every day). I also have to mention that I live in an extremely hot climate, so anything that spoils (like applesauce or things like that) won't work. I typically prep about 2 weeks worth at a time.

Any ideas? Someone mentioned trying to hide it in a vanilla oreo type cookie with cream in it, but I think that might melt when it's over 100 degrees, also that seems difficult to get much powder into something that small...not to mention all the sugar.

2. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Instead of bags, I use the littlest Tupperware containers so things are less likely to leak.

I'd try just powder first to see if there is actually any powder left in the feed bucket when you get to the barn.

If the horse really is leaving behind the supplement, you could try mixing with another powder that tastes good (flavored electrolyte, etc) or finding another brand that makes a similar supplement in an easier to feed form.

StraightandTrue and Martini! like this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Make sure you mix it well. My horse has no problems with the powder especially if mixed well with his grain.

4. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

I mix it, but the pellets are so dry that the powder just kinda falls to the bottom of the bag and I worry how much even makes it INTO her grain bin. The tupperware containers are an interesting idea though, except they'd have to be big enough to fit all her stuff in, I don't think the barn will feed more than one container each time. The bags I use are the gallon kind...not all the way filled up but it's quite a bit.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Put the powder inside a piece of bread. Fold the bread over and pinch it closed. Horses love bread. The powder should stay right inside and the bread should stay fresh so long as it's out of the sun.

mygirl1197, Larkspade and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

As someone who has fed in a decent sized boarding barn before (40ish stalls) easy to open containers are much preferred!

These are my absolute favorite containers for supplements. Easy to twist and dump. Holds 2 cups. There are similar ones that people would use, but took more effort to open. Ones you have to pry the lid off of are annoying and more risk of spilling things.

[​IMG]
    Twist Lock Small Container | ZiplocĀ® brand

Martini! likes this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I always feed supplements that I can get in pellets so they mix in with the feed.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. Smartee Pants

Smartee Pants Senior Member

I premix my supplements (both powdered and pelleted) along with his feed in serving baggies. He has AM and PM baggies. Works great!

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's actually pretty ingenious. Idk if the bread would mold though in a week, probably. Maybe every few days it'd be ok in containers.

Squirt!!, Martini! and mygirl1197 like this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

I'd get some little metal cans or plastic containers like used for spices, and mix the supplements with an oil that won't go rancid in your climate. The person just has to bang the little can sharply against the feed tub to get the supplement into the feed. Even mineral oil would be alright and that definitely doesn't go rancid in the heat. The horse will mix the supplements and feed himself, rooting around in the feed tub.

You can also use a little bit of sweet feed or oily feed. I used to mix my supplements with Ultium, it's very oily, and yet that did not spoil in the heat. About a handful (1/4 c) of Ultium, with each container, and it all came out very easily onto his regular feed. I just stirred it up a little and the supplement would cling to the oily feed.

Try a couple different little containers and see which one lets the mixture slide out the best - BUT - if you use an oily feed it won't matter. It will slide out very easily. if not using an oily feed, I've seen some little teflon coated containers that were really slippery inside and nothing stuck to them. I think she got them from a lab supply store. They were not expensive.

Of course, I won't touch the issues of whether the supplements are really necessary or the horse really needs them, with a 10 foot pole....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018