Prayers, jingles and good thoughts for Hope please? *Update in OP*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CrazyHorse, Sep 19, 2013.

1. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

Hope has had this pesky cough and sneezing she gets around this time of year, so I have been giving her Finish Line Air Power which seemed to be helping, but not as much as I would like, and her breathing is fairly heavy. Vet is coming tomorrow afternoon at 3:45pm.

If she has heaves, what is the prognosis? She is boarded and is out 24/7, only coming in long enough to eat (about 15 minutes) Round bales are fed late Fall and in the Winter through early Spring. She does not cough during those months. She does most of her coughing when she kicks up the dust in her stall when she comes in to eat and after eating. She can gallop without coughing, weight is good (too good), appetite is the same, no runny nose. She is a TWH.

Last year She started coughing late August and stopped a couple months later with no problems until last month. Same thing. Started coughing late August and only coughs when certain weeds start blooming in the pasture and when she comes in to eat/after eating. She is on a feed mill made textured feed with a very small amount of molasses in it.

I know heaves is manageable and she can be ridden, but I'm just so worried about her :(

ETA: Summers in MS. are very humid so I imagine that is part of her problem.

Update:
    Not as bad as I thought. God does answer prayers :) So she has the "very early stages of heaves." Vet said she should be pretty much symptom free by October when it starts cooling off, plus we're getting some rain now and he said that will help a lot. He gave her a shot of Dexamethasone and gave me a full bottle of it to keep on hand. He said to give her a shot tomorrow and Sunday, then call him on Monday to let him know how she's doing and I may can go to giving her the shots every other day if she has improved.

What's sad is he said he has seen more cases of heaves this year than he has seen in all his years of practice because of the drought and dusty conditions we've had.

Oh my gosh...I forgot how many cc's he said to give her! It is 4mg/ml (equivalent to Dexamethasone 3mg/ml) The instructions say to give 2.5-5mg based on 3mg/ml dexamethasone content. Help my math illiterate brain figure this out please? :help!: And I'm a nurse for goodness sakes! :blushing: I just don't want to overdose her :eek: I *think* he gave her 5cc's initially. Maybe 6cc's? Well carp...I was just too worried I guess and forgot what he said!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Hope is in my thoughts and prayers.......sounds like she has allergies causing her heaves since it is seasonal. Humidity does make it worse. Jingles that the vet will be able to prescribe something that will give her relief! Hugs to both of you!

3. Chester

Chester Senior Member

The poor baby. Hugs.

4. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Feel better soon, Hope! :cutekiss:

5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

Thank you Prairie. That is my thought as well. I just hope it hasn't caused permanent damage. Last year her breathing was mostly relaxed, but now it's rather heavy. I am kicking myself for not getting the vet out sooner. I know better :(

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

Thank you both. I don't deserve her.

7. AKBarbWire

AKBarbWire Senior Member

My thoughts are with you guys, scary when our babies are not doing well.

8. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

Yes it is. I have had her for right at five years and she has been very healthy up until these allergies started flaring up last year. It seems I can't manage it on my own anymore at this point.

9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Get well soon, Hope! I have known horses with allergies and heaves that did just fine. Make sure she has plenty of fresh air and clean water and little confinement unless excellent ventilation because the dust, urine, etc in the stall with little airflow can really aggravate. Also, try soaking hay to lessen dust from her feed. Take care!

CrazyHorse likes this.
  10. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse Senior Member

I can do all of that except soak her hay unfortunately, but round bales are only put out when the grass dies off, so usually around late Octoberish and she is cough free by then, assuming she does the same this year as last year. She's out 24/7 and gets no hay. Just grass and a little hard feed.

Thank you :)

ETA: I'm going to start her on a pelleted feed soon. I haven't noticed her feed being "dusty" but every little thing helps right?