Pounding The Feed...Not Gaining The Weight

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by CautionWetPaint, Jun 30, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

It's the grain. He can't handle all the sugar, 8% and starch, 20%. NSC should be more like half that. All that starch will give him lots of problems including hind gut acidosis/ulcers.

"Causes of Subclinical Acidosis

Certain situations trigger the pH of the hindgut to drop sharply. The two most common causes are the overconsumption of high-starch concentrates or pasture grasses rich in fructan. The demands placed on horses—as athletes and as breeding animals— dictate that substantial quantities of energy-laden feeds be consumed."

Subclinical Acidosis: Is Your Horse at Risk? - Kentucky Equine Research

Since Nutrena won't do a fixed feed, it is probably a lot of corn and maybe oats to get that high of starch.

My horse did that on Safe Choice Original last year, sugar 5% and starch 17%, all corn, and it was lower than this grain. Also gave him hind gut acidosis and put him over the edge into insulin resistance. He now eats Triple Crown Senior, 5.3% sugar and 6.4% starch, zero corn. Before he wasn't big into grain especially with any supplements in it. Now he has no issues with me putting supplements in his grain, even powdered magnesium.

Before and after shots to show before, at his worst and started improving.

FoxyProgression.jpg

And him May 30, even more improved.

FoxyMay302018headturn.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    CautionWetPaint likes this.
  2. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I've taken the net away before and he leaves just as much hay. He gets 4 flakes each feeding unless they're really fat then only 3. My feed store just started carrying the triple crown but i haven't looked into yet. Will definitely have to now!

LoveTrail likes this.
  3. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Picking at grain and hard time gaining weight is a red flag for belly issues. I had a lot of success with a Nexium mini capsule trial. Mare began devouring her grain. Alfalfa hay is good for the belly too as the calcium helps buffer stomach acids but I'd ask a vet if he was a good candidate for getting scoped or if you should just try the antacids.

4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

if you can't see the ribs, the weight is good. You have to feel them when you run your fingers over his sides with a tiny bit of pressure, but you shouldn't see them. He sounds perfectly all right as he is.
    More muscle to make h im look "bulkier" and more athletic will only come with training.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Need to see photo though to see if he lost topline. It appears he might have from the diet. He looks uncomfortable in the second riding photo. And you were just starting to see Foxy's ribs and his exercise had not changed in that middle photo.

CautionWetPaint and Alsosusieq2 like this.