Potential Arthritis

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by timmythenarwhal, Oct 10, 2018.

1. timmythenarwhal

timmythenarwhal Registered

Does anyone have experiance with young horses with arthritis in their back? My horse has some back pain that my vet/chiropractor seems a little concerned might be arthritis, and she's only 4 (if it persists we will do an xray to check). So to those who have been through this, although it may just be that she has rolled somewhere dumb twice or bucked extra hard, what was your experience? Was the horse useable lightly? Were they atleast comfortable as a pasture pet? Did any herbs or supplements help? (she's already on condratin sulfate and glucosamine, has been since we started lunging). Any other info on false alarms or general other info on arthritis in the back is welcome. Thanks all!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Not likely to be arthritis. I'd get a massage first and chiro and see. Obviously get rads if there's a legitimate reason to believe this though. It's just not likely at four.

3. Alsosusieq2

Stop lunging though hon, there's no need for repetition on her joints. Lunging is just intro ground work and occasionally to blow off steam if necessary or whatnot. Not good on their joints IMO.

paval likes this.
  4. timmythenarwhal

We ride as much as possible, but right now she's so sore she's unrideable and it has been noted she is slightly atrofied which is making it worse, as she doesn't get adequate exercise in turnout I'm not sure what to do but lunge. Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

5. Alsosusieq2

Can you post specs on your horse's background, breeding and history? More "importantly" what your feeding her. It'd give us a starting point.

I'd really like to see conformation photos and a couple vids of her movement. Video her walking, then one trotting, both coming toward us then going away and behind in a straight line.. as well as side views of it, but whatever you can provide. All on a hard even surface if possible.

There's a stickie post on the critique board at the top where it tells you how to take proper photos to get the best idea about conformation.

6. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Lots of possibilities here. She's only 4, and still developing, so it could be that you are doing too much with her and making her body sore. It could be saddle fit. It could potentially be ulcers (my mare gets a sensitive and sore low back with ulcers, but this is probably not a likely scenario). It could be hock pain (or other lower limb pain) which can often cause low back pain. It could be Lyme disease, kissing spine, arthritic changes... It's really all taking a shot in the dark unfortunately. Your best bet is to have a good vet perform a lameness exam, take radiographs or additional imaging as indicated, and go from there. I'm concerned by how sore you make it sound like she is...

To answer your question about arthritis, my mare is 18 granted, but despite arthritis being a chronic and progressive disorder, with a recent diagnosis and treatment of hock arthritis, she is fully sound, happy to work, and doing fantastic. There are certainly things to be aware of and things to avoid, as well as management techniques to implement, but arthritis is not a death sentence by any means! (Smart) Motion is lotion :)

7. Alsosusieq2

Yep. It's almost like an episode of House here on it, but really to diagnose you need it. A vets clearance would be nice, imperative actually.

8. timmythenarwhal

I will do my best to get that tomorrow when I see her. As for her diet, she gets an alfalfa Timothy hay blend for her general forage, free choice. 5lbs of safe choice original (this I have no say in, I cannot change the grain unless I go out twice a day myself to feed), 1 cup of stabilized flax seed, 2 scoops of Mega Cell, and 2000mg of Magnesium. Previous to being out of work, she was typically lunged 2 or 3 times a week for 15 or 20 minutes on a long line. We did weekly hour long lessons with a classical trainer, and I rode her 4/5 times a week for about 45 mins.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I doubt the pain is due to arthritis. It's more likely that he has sore muscles.

You'lll need to get someone to look at saddle fit, how you're riding and training, what activities she does.

And I will caution you also that a sore back is very often the result of being in a pasture with geldings that mount mares.

I know because a barn manager insisted on turning my gelding out with a mare and he was jumping on her all day, the whole time she was turned out with him. The mare owner found out and was furious and took the horse to another barn. The horse was incredibly sore.

10. timmythenarwhal

I am actively working with a trainer who has great credentials and years of knowledge, we did have a saddle fitter out and decide that we need to change saddles when we go back to riding. I am working on this all with a vet who is also a certified animal chiropractor and comes highly recommended. I will not pretend I am any kind of expert, but I do feel confident I have a good team on my side that will help me figure it out. But I'm such a worry wart that I really just wanted to hear other peoples experiences with arthritis so I know what to expect if it is that.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.