Pot Bellied Pig question? Help?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stina3246, Feb 8, 2011.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Senior Member

My neighbors got a pot bellied pig a few nights ago and he prefers to spend him time with my horses then in thier yard. (He keeps getting loose) I'm OK with it, he seems sweet enough, young, I'm guessing under a year but about the size of a medium dog. He is cautious or nervous of the horses and does a little lip, teeth smacking thing when ever they put their noses down to sniff him. He does it when I'm petting him too. Is this a form of aggression or fear?
    I have NO CLUE what to feed him. I think he is going back to the neighbors for breakfast but I'm afraid it's not enough. I tried feeding him carrots and peppers but he wouldn't even look at them. I tried some chicken scratch (just corn really) and even a bit of the horses pellets but he doesn't want anything to do with that either. He seems to be munching a little on the hay and definitely roots around all day long.
    Finally, he is out doors only but it's going to get down into the 40's in the next few days. Do I need to bring him inside? I think the neighbors have just decided he's our pig now.

2. nnep_rider

nnep_rider Senior Member

That's not good! Have you spoken to your neighbors at all about taking responsibility for their pig?? Maybe it's time to call animal control if you don't feel he is being fed adequately?

I don't have much experience with pigs, though my friend does have a pig that sounds like the one your describing size wise...think it's a pot belly. From my experience with him, yes if it's getting cold he probably doesn't appreciate being outside...I don't think they like cold. The pig I know has his own little room and he loves to wrap himself up in blankets to be warm. Also I'd be careful feeding the horse pellets...my friends pig got very sick from eating them. My friends pig eats special pig pellets...but he also seems to like carrots, corn, pretty much any vegetable. Funny that your guy doesn't seem to like those...also, I think the lip smacking thing is just a normal pig thing...my friends pig walks around doing that all the time...I don't know what it is, but from what I can tell, and I don't know if it's the same thing as your describing, it doesn't seem aggressive!

Anyway I'm no expert by any means...I'd say talk to your neighbors, or animal control if he is becoming a burden...it's not fair the he just got dumped on you, it's not your responsibility...but kudos to you for thinking of him! I wish people could just take responsibility for their animals! He does sounds like he needs some attention. Like you mentioned he probably doesn't like being out in the cold. Poor little guy! Good luck! :)

3. stina3246

stina3246 Senior Member

I've talked to them and they are supposed to be coming over and feeding him but I haven't seen them. He does return to their house periodically so maybe he has a dish there. I did tell them I don't mind him staying at my house but I'm afraid he'll wander out and get hit by a car!. They didn't seem too concerned. I may just ask if we can keep him and I'll fence him in....He's in a large paddock with my stallion and it it fenced to keep HIM in, not the pig but a little field fencing shouldn't be a problem.....then he can come inside when it's cold out too.
    Thanks for the heads up on the horse food!! It is strange he won't eat veggies though. I think maybe the former owners never fed him treats or anything but pig food??

4. Flashie_Shine

Flashie_Shine Registered

We had one at my parents for a few years. We were instructed to feed him a pig food that is lower in fat. They can easily get obese which is bad for thier health (like any animal!).
    The lip smacking thing is normal. I used to sit down with ours and do it to him and he would do it back, it was pretty funny.
    I would bring him in the barn at night. Ours had his own little pen and he would completely bury himself in the straw to sleep. If you didn't know it was his pen you would never even know he was in there he would cover himself so much!
    He really was a fantastic pet, very personable, fun to hang around and easily please.