Posting at the canter?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by FallenAngel, Jan 13, 2008.

1. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Senior Member

He can sit the canter very nicely, so i know that he can actually do that, but hes purposly posting at the canter, i just find it so strange!

Maybe i will get the courage up tomorow to ask him!
    lol

2. jumpthemoon

jumpthemoon Senior Member+

My daughter was instructed to post the canter in a recent lesson for exactly these reasons. :)

3. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

Different! But if it helps... why not?

Ask and see what he says. I'm curious.

I've never seen this before.. Maybe I'll try it

4. horseylover0714

horseylover0714 Full Member

Madamoiselle was right...it is basically just a fun exercise to strengthen your balance. It also helps those riders who have wiggly front and back legs during the canter. If your legs aren't under you, you can't stand up :) Try it! It is sure to bring a giggle out of you!

5. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

Its possible he just hasn't learned to sit the canter properly. People will often look they are posting if they brace and bounce in and out of the saddle.....

sneak a video! LOL (Just kidding!)

6. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Senior Member

He can sit the canter very nicely, but he posts alot of the time to

7. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member

Sometimes you'll see something like this in hunter/jumper. It's like they're in 2-point but pushing down with each stride as a shock-absorbing technique. (Almost like a jockey)

I do it sometimes, mostly when I'm galloping with my english saddle on. Maybe his horse is a really big mover and sitting the canter gets tiring on his back after a while?

8. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

I've done it--it's an interesting exercise that forces you to really use your legs and core to keep your balance. It's tougher than it looks! I don't do it regularly, but I've done it in a longe lesson. It was neat. Once we start cantering (we're still building up fitness at the trot) I'll do it every few weeks or so.

A similar exercise at the trot is to sit a stride, then post one, sit one, post one--it's also very tough!

9. JumpingBean

JumpingBean Senior Member+

It is not always a mistake or lack of skill; sometimes it is quite intentional. I learned how to do it several years ago, though it was called "treading" -- sit one stride, stand one stride, and so on. I still use it sometimes to encourage the horse to open up, without totally giving up butt-contact with the saddle. It's also a GREAT exercise to help find the rhythm of the canter.

10. kellidahorsegirl

kellidahorsegirl Senior Member+

I've posted the canter MANY times. I started doing it when I played polo at CSU....its a good way to be out of the saddle but regaining balance each stride.

I also do it after a big jump sometimes to just let my horse canter off nicely WITHOUT me up in the 2 point with can shift the weight forward. Its a super smooth technique and really quite fun. I know a lot of Grand Prix jumpers do it as well. Maybe I can find a vid.

**its also a technique that helps tremendously on a horse with a reallllly rough canter. By posting the canter you can help the horse maintain the rhythmn, while you maintain the soundness of your back hee hee

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008