Post Contracted Tendons ... *pre-trim pictures added 12/22/14*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ryder98, Dec 8, 2014.

1. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

I have love this baby from afar since she was born. She hit the ground with presence! She belongs to the Barn Owner where I board. She is a weanling now.

She had contracted tendons as a foal. Front. She was seen by the University and they suggested wrapping for a month. It was a success on the contracted tendon part, but she developed a pressure sore on her knee from bad bandaging. This sore was doctored appropriately by the BO, but her knee is thickened. Her foot on the "bum knee" side rotates inwards by a small degree (enough that I notice it, but my non horsey BF does not) ... She moves out well in every gait and does not show any lameness. I did not have a hand in her treatment or wrapping, so I am not sure exactly what transpired, so comments on the wrapping part are not going to help me ... lol ...

In the late fall I officially met her up close and halter broke her for the BO when she was weaned and gave her a basic education ... and I loved this little girls brain .... wow ... We connected ... lol ... She is whip smart and a delight to be around. She is a well built girl, registered QH, with great conformation, and off a stud with admirable earnings in reining and a mare with some earnings in working cow horse and reining.

She was offered to me for free, I have loved her since day one, so I took her on.

I am having a farrier out to trim her before she goes home to my parents farm for the winter. This farrier is apparently "the best" with young stock ... At this point, hoping I have caught it early enough, can a turned in foot be brought back inline with "corrective" trimming over the next few years? I have a job for her if she isn't riding sound (buddy for my 9 year old retired from injury mare, whose current buddy is 24 and looking his age ... he won't be around forever), but if she could be brought into safe shape for light riding, I would be thrilled.

Any thing I can do for her now that she is mine? Feed wise or anything that might help with her future ridability?

And finally, I know this thread is useless without pictures, but I won't be seeing her until Saturday so I have nothing to offer until then.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Start with xrays of the leg so you can determine if the bones are actually misaligned now, or if they are where they should be. If they are not misaligned, then trimming to "correct" it will cause problems.

Foals can go through different periods of how their feet look, based on what body parts have grown in relation to the legs. You might look at her in another 2 months and see the leg doesn't toe-in anymore.

This farrier BETTER know that and not just try to make a foot look pretty and match the other foot.

Ideally foal legs should rotate out a little bit, from the shoulder down. As the chest widens, the legs will start to rotate in a bit. They aren't all ideal though, so you have to look at where the deviation is coming from before deciding how, or even if, you fix it.

That said, a little toeing in isn't remotely worth thinking she won't be an athlete :)

Feeding? Is she a '14 foal? What brands do you have access to? You want something low sugar, designed for young growing horses, or in some cases, even designed for senior horses. For example, Triple Crown has a Growth and a Senior formula, and they are similar enough they are basically interchangeable.

5 people like this.
  3. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

She is a 2014 baby, yes :)

I will see if Triple Crown is available, or at least post some of my available options tomorrow when I go to the tack store to buy a halter that fits her little bitty girl head ... lol ...

I guess my main concern with her future athleticism is that the foot that turns in is on the same leg as the knee that is thickened from the pressure sores (which are 100% healed btw :) I will get her x-rays from the BO. She had her to the University about 4 times during the ordeal with the tendons, and then the pressure sores ... 2 sets of xrays were taken that I know of. I will not be able to get newer than August X-rays until after Christmas as I simply cannot afford it at this time of year since my dog is booked for his x-rays in a week to see how his Panosteitus is progressing :( X-rays are expensive. Sigh

Maybe I will hold off on the farrier until after Christmas as well. Her feet were trimmed once by said "best" baby farrier (who is not my preferred farrier, but I have a relatively uncomplicated barefoot mares) In late August, and I am not sure there is much more I should do without up to date Xrays.

Thanks!

4. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Late August is when she was last trimmed? It's already well beyond when she should have been at least looked at, much less trimmed. A good baby horse farrier will at least be able to do no harm, and probably even determine quickly if some trimming issue is the cause of toeing in. Besides, there are 3 other feet which need attention too :)

6 people like this.
  5. luv2show

luv2show Senior Member

Yes, definitely get a farrier out ASAP. She's way overdo. The lack of trimming is only going to exacerbate the issue of toeing in.

I too would invest in the x-rays. Without recent ones you will be unable to tell whether or not the problem is able to be addressed without other negative effects.

Can't wait for pictures :)

3 people like this.
  6. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

I will take a peek at her feet this weekend. The deal on her was made via text yesterday, and I have not set actual eyes on her since the end of October :)

I can't wait to share pictures! She will be a big hairy wool beast, but she should still sparkle with her own strange presence ... lol ... or maybe she just affects me that way ... lol ... will have to see!

6 people like this.
  7. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

I am going to post one of those newb posts where I am like "Here's my new horse, what do ya think??? pardon her feet, the farrier is coming tomorrow!" ... lol ... But that will be the truth for a change ... haha

I would like to share pics of her pre-trim so everyone can judge the "after" trim pictures and let me know if this "baby farrier" is any good or not ... lol :)

She comes home Sunday morning, the farrier is booked for Thursday evening (he will be in the area of my parents farm on Thursday evening, so no mileage!) and I won't have to take a day off work.

*However* ... If I see a higher degree of rotation in the foot then I remember in October when I saw her last, or am *at all* bothered with the leg, I got a Christmas bonus today, and will use it book her into the University Monday morning for X-rays and have the farrier meet me there (which is an option) and everyone can work together on a plan of action for her ... My BF can have coal for Christmas this year, he understands! :p

Her name Is going to be "Connie" ... because I feel like it fits her for some reason ... lol ... Has nothing to do with her papers or lineage ... couldn't really come up with anything I liked for a barn name looking at her papers ... lol ...

Happy Friday! And thanks all for the advice!

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

it really does help to see before and after pictures of feet :)

It's hard sometimes to look at a foot and not think "that's the best he could do?" when you don't know just how bad the foot was before. You just can't make some feet look perfect right off the bat.

so yes, "I know they look terrible but the farrier is coming tomorrow", followed by the after pictures, is just fine :)

3 people like this.
  9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Why is your BO giving you her free? Does the BO think she will be riding sound? Your BO would know what the previous vet visits indicate for future soundness.

10. ryder98

ryder98 Senior Member

She should be sound for future riding based on her x-rays and vet visits. My biggest concern is getting her feet trimmed in a way that is productive, and not counterproductive to her recovery. She does toe in on one front leg, so I wanted to know if trimming would actually help that if I started now, or if it was something she would always have :)

Connie was the only horse under 5years old on the place left ... My BO took in a bunch of new boarders, and expected Connie to be sold, but she didn't have many people interested in her ... If she stayed at the BO's it is likely she would not get enough to eat if she was in with the big mares or the boarder horses ... she would have had to be hand fed and spend winter in a small pen by herself ...

BO told me that a few people offered to take her and grow her up for a broodmare based on her breeding, but she was hoping for a home where someone would look after those feet and make the most of the work she started to do when Connie was born.

Connie went to my parents place this Sunday for the winter. She will over winter with my (small animal) veterinarians weanling (boarded at my parents) and our old pony ... They get free choice hay and my parents feed the old pony senior feed, so the babies will both get pelleted ration of some sort when I decide which one to go with. Connie will come back to the BO's in the spring :) I will stick her out in pasture there and keep workin :)