Post Colic, help.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ElviraH, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I have a non PPID gelding with bad teeth who had a resulting impaction colic a few years ago, and I also have a PPID mare.

It was incredibly stressful when my gelding was colicking. He was impacted for 5 days and finally, finally passed it. It was then that we discovered he was likely eating less hay than we thought (his weight was not bad but he looked unthrifty) and was not getting near enough fiber. I also had him on Omeprazole after the impaction passed, because he refused to eat as well. It only took 3-4 days on the Omeprazole for him to get his appetite back. I started him on senior grain (high fiber complete, 11.7% NSC) and alfalfa cubes as a source of long stem forage (the ones I get are 9% NSC). Letting him graze, even though he was unable to actually consume the grass, stimulated his appetite a lot. I'd keep trying some soaked hay pellets or cubes, alfalfa if you can get it. I know many people in the UK with PPID horses use fast fibre and/or speedi-beet. Both are low NSC for his Cushing's. The FB group "Equine Cushing's Disease Horses (PPID)" has files saved on it that give full lists of foods and forage in the UK with NSC. I'd keep trying and consulting with your vet. And you're positive he's getting the Omeprazole in him (ie are you using an oral syringe)? It sounds like he's hopefully on the upswing!

ElviraH likes this.
  2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would talk to your vet about feeding a wet wam senior feed like TC Senior.

I have a gelding that just can’t eat hay...he can’t digest it and colics. For many many years he’s has lived on TC Senior mixed with hot water allowed to soak for 15 min and I use enough water for it to be consistency of split pea soup,’this is fed 4 times per day.

You can mix a few cups of apple juice in it op make it more tempting.

ElviraH likes this.
  3. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hi! I’m not sure what caused the ulcers in his mouth, possibly due to him not drinking?

His weight is ok, he’s not fat or thin and he seems warm enough to the touch, he has a thick waterproof coat and it’s not cold or wet here at the minute. I honestly think he would overheat if I rugged.

He’s not yet happy to eat hay although is picking at it today a little, he’s getting out on grass for a few hours. Normally I would add water to his hi fibre cubes and still am but he’s reluctant to eat them and seems to prefer them dry at the moment, I’m not sure why. I’m trying to add a little molasses to them but he’s not having it....

4. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hello and thank you for your reply, I am syringing it in yes. He’s a little better today and yesterday thankfully, I have even seen A couple of poos, one seemed a little drier than I’d like.. I did consider fast fibre but some of the reviews didn’t sound great... I’m on that Facebook group already :) I didn’t consider posting there as we are retesting him in ‘spring’ to make sure he wasn’t just really stressed for the last test.. if he’s is positive again we will start pracend.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  5. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I’m going to try some apple juice next to see if that will tempt him to eat the soup, the molasses really doesn’t seem to be his thing.
    He is grazing now and is eating much better (but prefers the cubes dry. I’m not overly happy about it, but he does need to eat).
    He’s also choosing To eat and I have to chase him less. Ie I can put a bucket down and he will eat several mouthfuls.

He seems to be struggling with hay, I find he’s choking a little on it, probably due to being tubed so many times...he has a slight dry cough which occurs if he tries a trot or like he did yesterday a short gallop up the high field. If it gets worse or I see any sign of runny nose I will have the vet straight out again.

He’s more alert now and yesterday got extra time out on grass as he didn’t want to be caught. Never been so happy to see some of his cheeky chappie side! He tires easily and returns back to his paddock when he’s had enough. So there is definitely some signs of improvement.. I can only pray he keeps going the right way.

mygirl1197, paval and DocsLglyBlonde like this.