Post Colic, help.

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ElviraH, Jan 10, 2019.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

I have a non PPID gelding with bad teeth who had a resulting impaction colic a few years ago, and I also have a PPID mare.

It was incredibly stressful when my gelding was colicking. He was impacted for 5 days and finally, finally passed it. It was then that we discovered he was likely eating less hay than we thought (his weight was not bad but he looked unthrifty) and was not getting near enough fiber. I also had him on Omeprazole after the impaction passed, because he refused to eat as well. It only took 3-4 days on the Omeprazole for him to get his appetite back. I started him on senior grain (high fiber complete, 11.7% NSC) and alfalfa cubes as a source of long stem forage (the ones I get are 9% NSC). Letting him graze, even though he was unable to actually consume the grass, stimulated his appetite a lot. I'd keep trying some soaked hay pellets or cubes, alfalfa if you can get it. I know many people in the UK with PPID horses use fast fibre and/or speedi-beet. Both are low NSC for his Cushing's. The FB group "Equine Cushing's Disease Horses (PPID)" has files saved on it that give full lists of foods and forage in the UK with NSC. I'd keep trying and consulting with your vet. And you're positive he's getting the Omeprazole in him (ie are you using an oral syringe)? It sounds like he's hopefully on the upswing!

ElviraH likes this.
  2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I would talk to your vet about feeding a wet wam senior feed like TC Senior.

I have a gelding that just can’t eat hay...he can’t digest it and colics. For many many years he’s has lived on TC Senior mixed with hot water allowed to soak for 15 min and I use enough water for it to be consistency of split pea soup,’this is fed 4 times per day.

You can mix a few cups of apple juice in it op make it more tempting.

ElviraH likes this.
  3. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hi! I’m not sure what caused the ulcers in his mouth, possibly due to him not drinking?

His weight is ok, he’s not fat or thin and he seems warm enough to the touch, he has a thick waterproof coat and it’s not cold or wet here at the minute. I honestly think he would overheat if I rugged.

He’s not yet happy to eat hay although is picking at it today a little, he’s getting out on grass for a few hours. Normally I would add water to his hi fibre cubes and still am but he’s reluctant to eat them and seems to prefer them dry at the moment, I’m not sure why. I’m trying to add a little molasses to them but he’s not having it....

4. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hello and thank you for your reply, I am syringing it in yes. He’s a little better today and yesterday thankfully, I have even seen A couple of poos, one seemed a little drier than I’d like.. I did consider fast fibre but some of the reviews didn’t sound great... I’m on that Facebook group already :) I didn’t consider posting there as we are retesting him in ‘spring’ to make sure he wasn’t just really stressed for the last test.. if he’s is positive again we will start pracend.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  5. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I’m going to try some apple juice next to see if that will tempt him to eat the soup, the molasses really doesn’t seem to be his thing.
    He is grazing now and is eating much better (but prefers the cubes dry. I’m not overly happy about it, but he does need to eat).
    He’s also choosing To eat and I have to chase him less. Ie I can put a bucket down and he will eat several mouthfuls.

He seems to be struggling with hay, I find he’s choking a little on it, probably due to being tubed so many times...he has a slight dry cough which occurs if he tries a trot or like he did yesterday a short gallop up the high field. If it gets worse or I see any sign of runny nose I will have the vet straight out again.

He’s more alert now and yesterday got extra time out on grass as he didn’t want to be caught. Never been so happy to see some of his cheeky chappie side! He tires easily and returns back to his paddock when he’s had enough. So there is definitely some signs of improvement.. I can only pray he keeps going the right way.

mygirl1197, paval and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  6. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Ok so here we are and things are looking ok. Not 100% but the wee guy is eating with a little more gusto, comes trotting down the field when he hears me. Today I got my first whinny when he heard me. (Hate to use the pun but.. the little horse is a little hoarse when he neighed.)
    And yet I’m still a stress bunny.

He still can’t eat hay, he tried again this morning and once again choked, then choked again when he got his evening meal.. trust me he’s getting a lot of water in there.
    He was damp the last couple of days, so I couldn’t rug him and we now have snow. I will see if he’s dry in the morning and pop one on. If not I might put his pjs on and rug then go back in a couple of hours and take the pjs off as he should be dry by then.
    He has lost weight. Probably due to not being able to eat hay..

He’s also getting warm water, three days ago I made his breakfast and added water.. it was cold.. he starts eating, stops and lays down.. was seconds away from speed dialling the vet until I realised it was the cold water that caused the problem. He got back up and finished his brekkie.

So I managed to get about a gallon of warm water into him today in the hopes it will help keep him hydrated as well as keeping his food sloppy..

I also bought fibre beet to soak as a ‘Hay replacer’ high calorie add to keep him warm. He only started on that today and I will introduce gradually over the next week.
    He’s turned out 24/7 now on 6 acres so there is grass enough there for him even if it’s winter in the hopes he will get some benefit.. he’s eating but not stuffing himself, which is a good and bad thing. He did seem to be going for dandelions the other day so thinking he’s eating selectively as he needs.

My biggest concern is that I thought by now he would at least be able to manage to eat hay.. and the fact he choked very slightly on his dinner tonight plus the odd sound of his voice I wonder if it will heal or if this is how it’s going to be for him now.. how long before his throat should settle?

TYIA!

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Does he have damage to his throat or esophagus? Sometimes that will happen in the process of tubing etc. I’d go with alfalfa pellet soup. Or a complete feed so you don’t need hay. My old man gets fussy about his hay, not because he’s post colic, he’s just a half TB diva. He won’t eat much hay in the winter for whatever reason. The complete senior feed he’s on maintains his weight when he won’t eat hay and it’s made to be easily digested.

equinitis, ElviraH and DocsLglyBlonde like this.
  8. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hi, thank you.
    Yes I’m pretty sure he has as he had to be tubed a lot to clear the blockage. Poor lad. I have him on spillers hi fibre cubes soaked into a slurry the consistency of watered down baby food. And a separate bucket of soaked fibre beet which he can suck up like water, to make it more palatable I throw in a small handful of copra which is high fat content but he likes the taste so helps me to get him to drink it.

I have stopped giving any hay the last week, but he wasn’t getting the feed fully soaked because he wouldn’t eat it previously. Now he’s eating better (I’m starting to suspect he’s not comfortable eating grass either as he’s really just hanging out near the fence and is slurping the slop down like he’s really hungry).
    Tomorrow I’m planning on feeding 3 times instead of the two I’m doing the last few days.

As he’s a miniature I’m concerned about giving him too much at one sitting.
    Currently he’s been getting a (dry weight) half stubs scoop of hi fi cubes and a half scoop of the fibre beet twice a day (soaked to a slurry) I did assume he was eating grass but after choking badly 2 nights ago I now think he’s stopped as it’s irritating him. Even when he slurped down the fibre beet tonight he had a tiny choke , walked away and then went back to finish his dinner. I think the different texture irritated him.
    I feed the cubes and the beet separately as it took ages to get him eating again and I don’t want to put him off if he goes off one or the other. I’m also feeding the food Luke warm to make it less of a shock to his stomach.

I guess I’m worried his throat won’t heal and will always be scarred he clearly cannot live like this on a permanent basis... hence I wonder how long is a realistic time for things to settle down.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

This has been going on for nearly a month now, right? I am no expert but this seems like a long time of not seeing any progress in the poor guy.
    A sore throat should be healed or almost healed in about 4 weeks...
    Is there any chance you could haul him to a vet clinic and have an ultrasound done?

ElviraH likes this.
  10. ElviraH

ElviraH Registered

Hi Gingster!
    It started on the 28th December yes so that’s pretty much a month. It took a week -10days of tubing to completely clear the blockage so theoretically he’s really only had 13 days at home to recover. I guess I thought that would be plenty of time!?
    I have 5days left of his ulcer treatment to go. And I have decided I would call my vet on Monday, have him out to at least check him over and get his opinion. I will speak to my vet and suggest he has him back and have him ultrasounded.. I hesitate to have him scoped for the ulcers just at the moment due to his throat issues but will likely request more ulcer treatment and continue on with that for another few weeks.

He’s certainly bright and cheeky at the moment, if he hears other horses he is very interested, isn’t appearing depressed so improvements that way just not with the throat thing, but like I said was having to feed dry as he wouldn’t touch them before so I guess that wasn’t helping his throat heal, but I had to get him to eat and regain his appetite (which he has now).