Positive Reinforcement Training ONLY?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Alyssa Hughes, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

Well I stumbled across this gals Youtube channel The Willing Equine and saw she was training her young horse River with only positive reinforcement training. I've never even heard of this form of training and was wondering what you guys thought of it. Here is one of her articles about it if you don't know what it is. Horse Training | The Willing Equine

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

All Horses need discipline at some point. Other horses discipline them when they get out of line.

3. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I see a guy posting on a group i am on about positive reinforcement/clicker training. I feel like with horses it is counter productive.

Yes, reward the good but you need to discipline the bad. Horses are far too large to play best buds and never tell them no.

Not sure if that girl is the type to give treats for everything. But if you are giving a treat under saddle then every time the horse picks up a canter/jumps/anything, you stop the horse to give it a treat. That will be a ton of treats and not necessarily train the horse much.

4. Alyssa Hughes

I feel like my colt would get VERY pushy if I never told him no and just gave him treats. Her horses seem well trained on camera though. I have never met a positive reinforced trained horse so I can't really say if they are well behaved.

meljean likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I stick with the tried and true traditional horse training methods. All the new wannabe horse trainers seem to be looking for a hook. Some new, “ingenious“, “better“, “more humane“, “ super wonderful and easy“ method to make money off the unsuspecting horse owner. There's no magic bullet, just hype for money's sake.

6. Alyssa Hughes

I like some of Clinton Anderson''s methods. I use a mix of his techniques and natural horsmanship. It works for me.

Izzykitt and manesntails like this.
  7. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

I think she has good ideas and good points, but i don't really think it would work for all horses.
    My gelding for example. I WILL NOT give him treats. because he's already a pushy *******, im not in any way going to reward that. He is way to pushy and yes, sometimes aggressive to *only* reward good behavior. If i did that, I'd be in the hospital right now most likely. He gets in your space, he is rude, can be mean, its ridiculous. Sometimes, he gets his ass whooped when he decides he's gonna try to see what he can pull. Is he getting better? yes, but i would never utilize this sort of training with him. He would hurt someone

8. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

Any horse can seem well behaved when you are controlling what people get to see

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Always take what you see with a grain of salt. Of course positive reinforcement, but without any discipline your horse gets pushy..Then more pushy. Nope.

meljean, mooselady and Alyssa Hughes like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yep. That's "making" a vid. Not to be believed completely.