Popping/ Swollen Fetlock Joint?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cassiebaby150, Jun 7, 2018.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

A used IV bag and put water in it with epsom salts clean her foot off with a wire brush... put her foot in the IV bag and wrap duct tape up the leg so that it'll stay on tie her in a stall with shavings and let it sit for 30 minutes then wrap like I said earlier. You can cold hose her first if she won't let you handle her leg. However I will point out that this is an important example about why we need to regularly handle horses feet and legs and even practice soaking before it's needed

mymarespet and ginster like this.
  2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

An abscess is most likely. The popping can be caused by the swelling.

Its crazy how dead broken leg lame they get with an abscess. I always think the horse is going to die.

Definitely get it checked out and get xrays if you are not confident with the vets diagnosis. Fingers crossed for something easy!

Alyssa Hughes and ginster like this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I mean.... abscesses are painful. Imagine if you had one moving through your leg/foot. They will make some 3 legged lame. Others seem to have a higher pain tolerance.

I usually use Ichthammol salve to pack the foot.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Does it look like she slipped and fell? Are there scratches o her legs or body? Something that would give you an idea about another cause for her to be suddenly 3legged lame?
    i am still voting for an abscess and she is probably one of the horses who are really sensitive about the pain.
    keeping my fingers crossed it is nothing mire serious!!

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Abscess. Foxy's pastern gets really stiff and some swelling when he has one.

ginster likes this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

If it is an abscess the vet or farrier or someone needs to open it. There should usually be an area that reacts to hoof testers.

I don't soak abscesses per the vet who feels it assists the spread of the infection. I have green salve(I'll tell you what's in it when I next go to barn in 20 min) and I put on that, an animalintex pad, and 'boot' the foot with layers of duct tape. I change it daily and keep the horse out of any wet areas. If it's wet outside the horse doesn't go outside.

I have to be convinced it's an abscess, especially when the fetlock looks like that and the pastern isn't swollen. Many people assume any sudden lameness is an abscess. Sometimes they're right.

But issue is there is a big down side to assuming it's an abscess when it isn't.

7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

You WANT the abscess to "spread" and travel out of the foot. This is why bute or other anti inflammatory drugs are not recommended for abscesses as they will only prolong the time it takes to get the abscess out. Its best to keep them moving, and let nature take its course.

manesntails and ginster like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't want an abscess to 'spread.' I don't want a 'quittor' busting out at the coronary band or forming a fistula.

That's why we pare them and let them drain, pack the foot, etc.

I bought a horse that had had an abscess 'spread.' He was unsound and he was unsellable.

9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I've had abscesses "pared" only for it to pop out the top. Nature will do as nature pleases. Horse hoof healed just fine.

manesntails likes this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I saw one horse who's abscess popped out of the coronet band. Nobody knew the horse was brewing one since she wasn't off. She healed fine without problems.
    One of my lease horses once laboured on an abscess for a few days, we soaked it in hot water and epsom salts twice a day for 30, 45 min and nothing happened. Owner had the vet out after four days. He had to dig deep to find it; horse bled profusely. Poor Goofy fought him while sedated, twitched and two people hanging on to him and his leg. It drained well and he was moving fine almost immediately after but that hole was so deep it took forever to grow out. If the vet hadn't opened it, it would've probably traveled up to the coronet as well.
    I still remember the sound it made when the vet found the abscess, the pressure that was released.