Popping/ Swollen Fetlock Joint?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cassiebaby150, Jun 7, 2018.

1. cassiebaby150

cassiebaby150 Senior Member

So, today at around 4 pm I noticed that Athena was favoring her right hind. There didn't look to be any swelling but she was obviously very lame on it. It almost looked like when she did put weight on it that her fetlock joint was popping back into place. I called and made an appointment with my vet for tomorrow morning. They don't seem too worried and believe it's just an abscess.
    Now, she can hardly walk and can't straighten that pastern out at all. And there is quite a bit of swelling on the joint along with swelling on her other hind for overcompensating.
    Any ideas what this could be?
    20180607_191827.jpg 20180607_191814.jpg
    First video is when I first noticed. Second is 2 hrs later.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, it IS most likely an abcess and you should get some hot water, put a big handful of epsom salts in a rubber tub, fill it with enough water to just cover the pastern and let her soak the hoof in it.

VermilionStrife and ginster like this.
  3. cassiebaby150

Already did that. Soaked with hot water and epson salts and ickthamol. But my question is, how could an abscess cause the fetlock joint to do that kind of popping thing? Makes zero sense to me.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Not good. I'd be concerned if the vet was not concerned.

cassiebaby150 likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Looks like abscess. I soak in Epsom, then wrap with wet animalintex pad, over wrap with vet wrap then elastikon, then duct tape boot. Ill bet that abscess comes out of the heel. So, i would make sure the wet animalintex covers it. I don't use icthammol myself.

6. slc

slc Senior Member

As it should.

cassiebaby150 likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

From lunging him and making him put weight on it.
    Leave him til the Vet comes.

8. cassiebaby150

Lol. I made her walk in a circle to take a video. I wouldn't call that "lunging". As soon as that first video was taken she was put in the round pen by herself to rest. Taking her in this morning. Will update when we know what it is.

9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I think she is keeping her fetlock joint like that to avoid her heel taking weight.
    Does she let you manipulate her leg? If so, can you make the joint straighten out when you have her leg up?
    How did she react to the hot water? I found horses with abscesses like to keep their foot in the tub while those with other causes of lameness would like to leave it asap...

10. cassiebaby150

Both my friend and I tried to manually straighten her pastern and it absolutely would not work. She does not want me touching it at all. She also did not like the hot water at all. I had her hoof in a boot soaking it and she kicked it off within minutes. Slathered it in ickthamol and wrapped it.

ginster likes this.