Political threads

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PyroTekNik333, Oct 28, 2018.

?

Do you like the option to talk politics on a horse board?

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

28.1%
  3. Sometimes both

18.8%
  4. Potato

28.1%
  1. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Love em? Hate em?
    Vote above!
    Yes I realize we really can't make that decision ;)
    But I would be interested in finding out how popular they really are.

I'm personally on the fence. I do have a strong dislike for when politics gets drug into all sorts of threads where it doesn't belong. Sometimes it seems like it shows up everywhere and it would be nice to have a break from it.

Arem likes this.
  2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I prefer not to deal with it on a horse forum. I can go to political boards for that.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I voted potato!

It is nice to be politically free most of the time, but if there is a thread or two running, that you can choose to opt in or ignore, it is far better than political debate leeching into threads where you don’t need it.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Well the great thing is you can choose to not click on it and participate.

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I don't like the political threads. I don't ever open them and read though. I just ignore them. If other people want to talk politics then that's fine. I just choose not to participate.

OldGreyMare, paval and ginster like this.
  6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It’s annoying when it gets dragged into unrelated threads. Once upon a time, it used to be people looking for any excuse to drag Obama bashing into threads. Now it’s people looking for any excuse to drag Trump bashing into threads.

Keep politics in relevant threads and leave the rest of the board in peace, IMO. If it’s just collected into isolated threads, it’s easy for people who want a break from the noise to avoid it.

7. funkybizniz

funkybizniz Full Member

Sometimes it’s interesting discussion but lately I’ve shied away from political discussion on here or especially Facebook- so many people don’t know what they’re talking about or have unreliable sources at best... I’d rather skip the discussion and just read what I want to know from a news source I trust.

waresbear likes this.
  8. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I don't see a problem with having a political thread in Off-Topic. If the entire board was strictly equine, I would say it's not appropriate. As others have said, don't read or participate if you don't want to talk politics. Maybe I am missing it, as I generally only look at a few forums, but I don't see a lot of politics bleeding into regular threads. I can't see having an option for any discussion as problematic.

ginster likes this.
  9. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

As like others I don't go into the political threads, tired of the snark, hate, misconceptions and downright lies in the threads, or the glee that is exhibited slamming and slandering our president. Enough hate in the world to go around, I voted NO!

NBChoice likes this.
  10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That is not true...for a start slander is spoken, not written, for a second the majority of what is said is actually true, so libel would be hard to prove as well.