Polishing hooves for a show

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Inchworm, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Inchworm

Inchworm Full Member

Hey guys!
    I'm new here, but I've been riding since I was 8. So I'm definitely not new to horses! Anyways,

I was looking through the arabian horse website at the pictures, and I saw these horses with shiny hooves in the RING. How do you get them to be so shiny and not get so dirty?
    I've heard of putting PAM on them after you polish them, but what exactly do you use to 'polish' them? We've always used feibing's hoof dressing, but that nourishes the hoof, not polishes it. Plus it always collects dirt and dust.
    Thanks so much!
    Robin

2. sazzy

sazzy Full Member

hi and welcome robin. most people use hoof oil to get there horses hooves shiny, we use carr&day&martin neatsfoot compound, hope it helps-sarah

3. Inchworm

Inchworm Full Member

Thanks Sarah!
    Will do.
    I wanna see what the pam does!! LOL.

4. idlewild

idlewild Senior Member+

I use that clear stuff (Absorbine makes it). It takes some time to dry (like 10 minutes so ya gotta keep those feet on a hard and non-dusty surface for a time) but it works great, its sorta like nail polish for horses. It keeps the feet pretty clean in a dry arena, but no such luck in a muddy arena.

I've never heard of using pam, huh, that would be interesting to try out!

Emily

5. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

:no: Nope.... don't use Pam..that will attract dirt and grime!

Getting the shine on the hoofs of Arabians competing in the performance classes is a several step process.
    First they are cleaned and then lightly sanded to make them smooth.
    Next a coat or two of Kiwi shoe polish is applied and buffed...black on black hoofs, natural/clear on the white hoofs.
    Then a coat of hoof polish is applied allowed to dry then another coat is applied. (again black on black and clear on white)
    After the second coat dries a product like Ultra Hoof Polish Enhancer is applied to all 4 hoofs. That is what really gives them the patent leather finish!

Plus....Hoofs are usually wiped off with a dry cloth after the rider warms the horse up... before entering the ring for the class. :wink:

:idea: For the halter classes the same is done except only CLEAR polishes are used! Black is not allowed in the halter classes no matter what the color of the hoofs. :wink:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  6. alr001

alr001 Senior Member+

Too much work for their feet...I use baby oil and it works for a little of the class...LOL

Stephanie W. likes this.
  7. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member+

I've heard of people using WD-40.... ?

8. Zippy

Zippy Senior Member

I use the hooflex hoof oil dressing by absorbine

9. EqUeStRiAn

EqUeStRiAn Senior Member+

we use black hoof oil and clear coat it after. Also if the hoof is white or striped we use clear (or clear AND black on a striped one). We are always carrying sponges around at big shows and wipe off the feet right before they go into the ring (as in IN the holding area). This always keeps the feet nice and clean.

10. ~*~pinksoda~*~

~*~pinksoda~*~ Full Member

i use blak it, and then hairspray on my mare for shows, lol i also use hairspray on my boots but im just weird. lol
    luv ellie