PLEASE HELP! My horse was fed and ate some moldy hay

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by mygirl1197, Jul 25, 2010.

1. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member+

My horse is at a boarding stable, and when I went to see her this morning, all the hay in her feeder was moldy. I know horses don't usually eat moldy hay, but there was also a big pile of diarrhea in her stall . She was acting normal in every other way. Should I be worried? Should I keep an eye on her for awhile...and for how long? I came home to shower...and I was going to go back out to check on her again.

Please help!

2. mygirl1197

I went back to check on my horse at 2:00. She is acting normal...but the diarrhea has turned from mush to liquid. She also seems to have a lot of gas. She has a big 15 gallon bucket of water in her stall, and between 11:00 and 2:00 it appeared that she didn't drink very much. I do live in Las Vegas, and it is 107 degrees. Should I give her an electrolyte paste. She already gets powder electrolytes in her feed daily. Also should she be fed dinner?

Please help! It's really frustrating to ask for help and get none.

3. Alliekk

Alliekk Senior Member+

I recommend MOVING YOUR HORSE YESTERDAY! In no way, shape or form should YOUR money being spent on board go towards buying MOLDY hay!!! Go to the feed store and pick up a bale of hay for her, write a note saying you'll be feeding her that night, and make sure she is given decent hay. Then go online and find a stable with room that you can afford. That is NOT acceptable in ANY way shape or form!!!

4. CrazyHorseRanch

CrazyHorseRanch Senior Member

I would give her the paste as a precaution.. and attempt to feed her grain and no hay tonight.. unless she was REALLY hungry, most horses won't touch it but she may have got bored and nibbled a bit..

5. CrazyHorseRanch

^^^ I second that... the person who fed SHOULD have noticed the hay was moldy.. okay so sometimes the bottom bales get moldy.. fine.. but it should NOT have been fed to your horse

6. JumpinIsFreedom

JumpinIsFreedom Senior Member

I completely agree with you as well, Alliekk. You should move your horse NOW. Before they feed her something else that could be illing or possible fatal. :( That shouldn't happen. Just should not happen.

7. mygirl1197

The boarding stable I am at takes really good care of the horses, and are very conscientious about the quality of the hay they feed. They have thrown out bale after bale of bad hay.

Today, the horses were fed by their teenaged son because the owners were out of town, and the grandparents who are taking care of the place have a hard time feeding. The son will probably be in a TON of trouble when his dad finds out later today when they get home.

I know she didn't eat a lot because she gets 1 flake in the AM and the moldy hay was almost a full flake. She has always picked around moldy hay, at my old barn which I did leave because they didn't take care of the horses and fed crappy hay. Nothing else has changed for her except the moldy hay this morning so I am assuming the diarrhea is because of the hay.

8. Appysrule

Appysrule Senior Member+

Well, certainly moldy hay can cause very serious problems from GI problems to neurological problems. You're in very hot weather conditions which itself can cause dehydration. You horse has diarrhea, making it even more liky to get dehydrated. Common sense would dictate, in my opinion, adding electrolytes.
    I think I'd watch the horse closely and if needed call the vet and beat the you know what out of whoever fed it.

9. CrazyHorseRanch

if you do call a vet, I would be requesting that the son pays for it..

I would just make sure to get her hydrated (electrolytes.. flavor her water if she likes to encourage her to drink)

10. Sootbind

Sootbind Senior Member+

Give electrolytes, and wipe down her hay receptacle if you can. Some horses show very adverse effects to eating moldy hay, and it isn't good for any of them. :(

I hope she's okay!