Please help me make my chaps bigger!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by FieldBoots, Feb 10, 2011.

1. FieldBoots

FieldBoots Full Member

:bawling:Hello! So.... I've gained some extra thigh width and I'm in need of something to help me zip them up! I've found extenders you can buy to add width across your hips, but nothing to add to thigh width!

I am borrowing the chaps from my trainer so I can't sew anything in. So I was thinking maybe adding zipper halves on either side of some elastic or ultrasuede?

Thanks! Any patterns, products or suggestions oul dbe much appreciated!

(Or if you know of someone selling large ultrasuede chaps for super cheap!)

2. Horse_Girl9804

Horse_Girl9804 Senior Member

If it were me, I would find someone with a sewing maching, and buy some suede and just sew in some more. My friend's sewing machine (a little heavier duty than most, but not a leather sewing machine) did a great job of going through double-thick suede when my chaps needed to be made smaller.

3. FieldBoots

FieldBoots Full Member

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind, I just don't think I can actually alter the chaps as they're not mine :)

4. HSRascal

HSRascal Senior Member+

Somewhere on this lovely sea of internet, there is someone who sells zip in elastic chap thingys.

They were $39.99, I'll try and find them again.

***They are a little more expensive then I remember but here are some:
    http://chapinserts.com/

5. FieldBoots

FieldBoots Full Member

Oh wow, thank you so much! That's exactly what I've been looking for! I've been surfing the internet forever but I havn't come across them yet! Yes, definately let me know if you find the cheaper ones! Thanks!

6. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

I let out some chaps once just sewed in a 2" panel of heavy duty elastic betwee the zipper and the suede. Works best with black fringed chaps, but should be cheap to have done. IIRC, the elastic was only like $10. Doesn't take much skill or a very heavy duty machine.

7. FieldBoots

FieldBoots Full Member

Ok thanks so much! What do you think I should do about zippers? Will I have to find the exact same zipper used in my chaps or would a heavy duty zipper of the same size teeth zip in perfectly?

8. FieldBoots

FieldBoots Full Member

Where did you buy the heavy duty elastic?

9. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

The elastic was from the fabric store - just the widest black elastic they had. I'm not sure if your question about the zippers was addressed to me, but if it was, I just used the original zipper and attached it to the elastic, then the elastic to the suede where the zipper was removed.

10. giddy_up_pony

giddy_up_pony Senior Member+