*Please critique on my mare*

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Jimmy The Pony, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jimmy The Pony

Jimmy The Pony Full Member

IMG_8692.PNG This is Weebo, my 12.2hh leased pony. She is very old at 25 years old but still very athletic and I hope to get another year or so out of competing. She does Preliminary Dressage and does champion show pony. Her last show she got 67% which I think is pretty good for a pony who rarely competes. She is a strawberrry roan Australian riding pony.*All Critiques welcome* double tap image for larger photo! (More photos will be up on Saturday)

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Tips for Posting Critique
    Here are some helpful tips on taking better pictures for critique.
    She looks like a lovely old girl.

manesntails likes this.
  3. Jimmy The Pony

Thanks they are very helpful :)

4. slc

slc Senior Member

When you take pictures of really small horses, crouch down so the camera is level and at the height of the middle of her shoulder, aimed at a point a few inches behind the shoulder.

Otherwise the picture comes out very distorted and a person can't tell if her proportions balance each other.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It's very hard to say actually. There's a sticky post at the top that'll give you direction on critique photos. Obviously a few is helpful. :)

6. slc

slc Senior Member

The pony looks rather thin over the back and in the neck in front of the withers (the angle of photo exaggerates this, I'm trying to make an allowance for that). She looks like she needs some slow, steady, frequent work to build up her back and musculature(the lack there could be part of why she bucks and plays up). And possibly some feed that would supply more fat and protein. I'd have the vet look at her teeth and do a blood panel and see if she's got any health issues.

The saddle on this one I believe was too forward up on the shoulders. The saddle may be too large in general, or she may have lost muscle and fat so that at this point the saddle doesn't fit well. The saddle needs to be placed properly on her back behind the withers. But if it slides forward from that spot during the ride, some changes are needed. The girth may be simply too loose or it may be something more like the saddle tree is too wide.

7. Dakota328

Dakota328 Senior Member

A strawberry roan is a chestnut horse with the roan gene. The horse in the photo is a bay roan.

8. Jimmy The Pony

? The photo doesnt include a saddle on the pony.

9. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh I thought this was the same pony as in the other thread.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Actually it appears it is the same pony. Unless you have two senior bay roan ponies that look rather alike.