1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

pinning ears :(

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by SkyeTiger, Jan 22, 2005.

1. bay_blnd jmpr07

bay_blnd jmpr07 Senior Member

he may have sensitive skin(like a TB) but if not then ignore it. and if he snaps his teeth(even if its not towards you) or picks a hind foot up and stomps give him a nice hard 'slap' on his rumb if he kicks or on his neck if he snaps his teeth

BBJ

2. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

Hey thanks for all of the help. Yeah he is only 6 years old so he shouldn't be too out of shape. My uncle is a equine chiropractor that lives in Denver, Co. He came back to work on him in November......maybe he just needs done again. I went to ride him and stuff today and he didn't pin his ears once but whenever I went to get on him he wouldn't stand still. Geez oh man! He never does that either. lol Oh well. Hopefully I will get it all sorted out. :)

3. collhave

collhave Full Member

If you look at video of John Lyons horse, Bright Zip, he was an ear-pinner. In gerneral, I think it is a sign of superiority, but are they really pinned, or just back? My mare has a tendancy to have her ears back (also an Appy), but she is very compliant and respectful. It's just her way. One other thing to look out for is static. Is it very dry where you are? ( hot or cold) If it is..static may be a factor. I use a tonne of static guard on all my brushes.
    - Cols

4. ARioBadBoy45

ARioBadBoy45 Full Member

Sorry to bump up an old post, Just curious as to what the resolution was here? :)

5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I realize this thread is 12 years old, but I'd bet the horse had ulcers bothering him.