1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Pickling Lime

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by JenniferR, Sep 13, 2010.

1. pantha11

pantha11 Senior Member+

ABC Gel is what will really help....will PM you the details.

It also gets rid of spints completely.

2. OpenRange

OpenRange Senior Member

Ohhhh. Hahaha. Whoops. :cool:

3. Nakoda

Nakoda Senior Member+

I have used pickling lime on the skint knees and tore up chin of a bay mare. She was very much mistreated when I got her. I would wash the area with running water for 5-10 minutes and pull off as much gunk as I could without having to force it off.

Let it air dry for a minute and throw on some pickling lime. It allows the wound to heal from the inside out and the hair on this mare came back it's original color. It is really good stuff, and I love it:)

4. JenniferR

JenniferR Senior Member

Thank God someone commented! hahaha
    Thank you Nakoda for your story of experience. I really appreciate it and am happy that we have told HGS about something new....or so it seems.
    Lime in stalls.....hehehehehe
    :rofl::rofl:

5. Nakoda

Nakoda Senior Member+

I have tried to tell them about it about 3 or 4 times. I guess it is too simple and cheap to be worth a shot:wink: But in 3 weeks the mare was so close to being healed that there was hair growing back. For open wounds the stuff is awesome!!!!

Just a note, the previous owner had used a nouvell on this mare and had cut the crud out of her skin on her chin so bad that it had removed the skin over the bones of her chin. The remaining skin hung down and you could stick your finger through one side and come out the other side.
    The PL healed it up with out a scar at all!!!!

6. JenniferR

JenniferR Senior Member

WOOWW! Good story! I am going to pick some up from the store. I've been borrowing some from my B.O. and it's been helping my horse a lot too so far. I should take some pictures now and when it's healed and then post them here later on.

Together, we can help spread the word of Pickling Lime.....:p

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Pickling lime has been used for years for cuts and scrapes on animals. It IS one of the ingredients in Wonder Dust.

8. Nakoda

Nakoda Senior Member+

That AND activated charcoal....Yep, that white ash left over after a cookout:D