Photo Tutorial: How To Make your own 3-tube Tail Bags

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Lindsayanne, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member

Well the grooming forums seems dominated by tail topics this time of year, so I thought I'd post my instructions for making your own tail bags. They are insanely easy, take about 10 minutes start to finish, and require no- I mean NO- sewing skill.

1. You need lycra. You should be able to make one average 3-tube bag with 1/3 yd. It's expensive and hard to find this time of year at fabric stores, but there's a guy on eBay selling awesome lycra patterns cheap. I haven't ordered from him so can't vouch for him or the quality though.
    Lay it out, and cut strips about 4-5" wide- slightly wider for already thick tails. Strips should be as long as your horse's tail from end of bone to bottom plus 6-8 inches.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fold each strip in half lengthwise and pin.
    [​IMG]

3. Sew. This is way easier than it sounds. Remember, you're making something to attach to your horse's butt, so it doesn't have to be perfect. :D Wobbly lines and starting and stopping are okay.

Lycra is easier to stitch than people think. In this photo I'm using the wrong needle, the wrong foot, and my cheapie $99 machine with no problem.

Important Note: don't start at the top of the fabric- space about 2-3" down or the fabric will get caught in the machine and your ties won't be stretchy.

[​IMG]

Important note number two. When you begin to sew, sew a half inch to inch down, then put the machine in reverse and stitch back up, then sew forward again. This keeps your seam from unraveling. Do this when you end 2-3" from the bottom, also. like so (but in a straight line if you can):
    [​IMG]

4 Cut your threads and turn inside out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Snip yourself 2-3" ties at the top and bottom. Lycra won't unravel or fray so just cut and you're done!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. I like my tubes seperate but if you like you can tie them together with one tie from each and wa-la tail bag for a fraction of the price from a tack shop.
    [​IMG]

Cowgirly and SportPonyCrayzi like this.
  2. SportPonyCrayzi

SportPonyCrayzi Senior Member+

Thanks for sharing! :D How cool! I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate this so that they can create their tails in any way they want...must be a bit cheaper in the long run too.

Great Christmas present too. :)

3. westerngrl

westerngrl Senior Member

:( i wish i had my own horse so i could do these kind of things for them.

4. codyntampa

codyntampa Senior Member+

When you put it on, do you braid the tail three times so you have three diffrent braids, and put one braid in each tube? Or do you somehow just manage to get unbraided hair in each tube and braid the three tubes together? (Sorry, Ive only used a one tube)

5. Lindsayanne

you slide your hand up one tube, grab a chunk of hair, pull your hand with hair in it back out, tie at the top, and wa-la. :) They stay in infinitely better, I've found.

6. ladida

ladida Senior Member+

Do you think fleece would work too? Great instructions though!!!

7. MyY0Y0

MyY0Y0 Senior Member

Oh that's so cool, thanks for sharing!

8. Lindsayanne

Thanks. No, fleece isn't nearly as grippy as lycra. These bags in lycra stay in weeks no problem- I couldn't get the fleece ones to stay more than a few hours unless I 'stitched' them into the tail.

ladida likes this.
  9. Wicket

Wicket Full Member

Very good topic Lindsayanne. I was just wondering how I was going to wrap my horse tail, and I really didn't want the vet wrap with binder twine look!lol I will try your suggestion. But I need clarification on something, how do you put the tail bag on? Thanks

10. Lindsayanne