Peruvian Paso/registration question

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Puddincup, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

I recently met a beginner horse enthusiast, that bought a Paso from a lady who did not register the horses in her name. Now she would like to get the papers and previous owner won’t give them to her. Now my next step would be to go to original owner and have them send away for new papers and transfer it that way since the middle party never registered the mare in their name.

If that works out, great. HOWEVER, the mare was also pregnant and that was not disclosed to buyer nor does the original owner know that the mare foaled. Since the OO (original owner) is also the stallion owner, do they have any right to a stud fee since they sold the mare as open?

In my opinion I thought not since no paperwork was signed agreeing to any stud fee amount and they clearly didn’t think the mare had “took”. DNA would have to be tested for registration for the foal. The ultimate goal to have both horses registered in current owners name in case she would need to sell one day.

2. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

It's a grey area. Most registries want all signatures regardless if any inbetween owner transferred the papers or not.

I wouldn't expect the breeder/original owner to do it for free.

And yes the stud fee would need to be paid if the new owner wants papers for the foal. The stud owner need to report the breeding to the registry. Again most won't do this for free.

3. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Absolutely not expecting breeder to do the registration for free.

They have no webpage or Facebook and are many states away, so contacting them about registration fees may be difficult since we can't find contact I do for them and their "owner" name is just in the made up ranch name they're using. Again nothing online for that name either.

Since they sold mare as open and didn't bother having a pregnancy check before selling her. Also she was an extremely immature 3 year old and the surprise birth costs the new owner thousands since birth didn't go well. These are $500 dollar ponies IMO, not sure stud fee should apply if breeder is that negligent at managing his operation.

Now I do think this current was total taken and paid too much for these horses but I'm not sure the stud fee is her responsibility after all of this.

This is a new area for me so as a breeder myself I want to explore all the options and opinions before I side with one. Your opinion does makes sence. Just trying to sort through what's fair and what's business. And obviously a proper PPE would have prepared her for this.