Percherons available for adoption

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by Equine747, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Equine747

Equine747 Senior Member+

these are some Percheron or Percheron cross's available for adoption threw UNITED PEGASUS FOUNDATION. If you are interisted in one of the horses please contact Helen at 951-285-1266
    [​IMG]
    This is Pepper-1/2 percheron 1/2 paint Stallion - will need to be gelded if adopted! Adoption fee $800
    [​IMG]
    This is Salt-1/2 Percheron 1/2 Paint stallion - will need to be gelded if adopted! Adoption fee $800
    [​IMG]
    This is Birch- 8 year old 1/2 Percheron 1/2 Paint stallion - will need to be gelded if adopted! Adoption fee $800
    [​IMG]
    This is mare#705 purebred Percheron mare bred to Birch for 2008 foal. it is against rescue policy to ever use this mare or her foal for breeding! Adoption fee $700
    [​IMG]
    This is mare#038 Percheron mare bred to stallion pictured named Salt! it is against rescue policy to ever use this mare or her foal for breeding! Adoption fee $700
    TO SEE MORE HORSES AVAILABLE FOR ADOPTION PLEASE VISIT WWW.UNITEDPEGASUS.COM AT THE SITE LOOK IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR SCREEN AND CLICK ON PLEASE HELP HORSES IN CANADA. THESE HORSES CAN BE SHIPPED ANYWHERE IN THE USA FOR A VERY LITTLE FEE! THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

Do you know the ages/training history of these horses? :)

3. Jennie'sPassion

Jennie'sPassion Senior Member+

If it is against policy to breed the mares then why are there stallions and bred mares for adoption? I guess I am missing something. Good luck finding them homes...I really like the paint stallion but I am not in the market right now. More information on ages, temperments, and possible disciplines would help.

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

Jennie you are right :) these horses come from a PMU farm where the mares are bred already (it's part of the PMU thing)...they can't be bred again after they find a new home though. ;)

5. Equine747

Equine747 Senior Member+

I believe that all the horses Pictured above are all fairly young:) But, to get the exact age you will need to ask Helen you can e-mail her at unitedpegasus@yahoo.com or call her at 951-285-1266. I would ask her but there are 35 horses available and that is a lot of horses to ask the ages on:) as far as there training - There is only one horse that has ever had any under saddle training:( he is a beautiful TB/Percheron stallion (blue roan) here is his photo - he will also need to be gelded if adopted!
    [​IMG]
    This is Blue Boy, 8 year old 1/2 TB 1/2 Percheron 17.5 hands tall! was trained under saddle at age three. Adoption fee $800

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  6. Bar N K

Bar N K Senior Member

As most of you know, I keep quiet most of the time and my opionions to myself but the PMU topic is slightly confusing to me.

I have done some research on this industry. What I can't understand is why there are no rescues in Canada doing so called PMU rescues. Why is it a rescue in California looking after this? Do the PMU farms not know that there are rescues in Canada? We are here in Canada, in all provinces.

If they are breeding so called good quality stock, why are there so many cross breds not being registered? Surely they can be registered with some association.

Why charge such a hefty so called adoption fee, with no proof of bloodlines? Wouldn't these horses be grade? If so, if sent to auction, wouldn't they go for grade prices. Eg. Untouched, unhaltered, unbroke. Wouldn't this be sold at market price?

Is the only way the breeders can sell these so called rescues is to constantly say " they are going to the slaughterhouse"? How long do they have to say that before none are sold? IMO if I was a breeder like this, I would put the horse first. I would list them at the market price and not meat price at that time and ensure they go to a good home.

I'm not knocking United Pegusus for what they are doing. I have heard good things about them and they have definately helped alot of these PMU horses, I just find it odd that there are plenty of us rescues in Canada that could be doing this as well.

Not that I'm adding fuel to the fire, but why is it that advertising for these PMU rescues is done in the states? I didn't know anything about the United Pegusus until someone posted it on a forum in Canada. You guys in the US have a saturated market for horses right now cause of no plants being there. Some are being starved, some being left to fend for themselves. Your horses are coming up here or going to Mexico. By adding PMU's to the equation, before long, are these horses going to be in trouble as well?

Another thing, if a colt is cross bred, why is he still in tact. Who wants to breed a grade colt to a papered mare? To my knowledge, don't both parents have to be papered to be registered as an appendix?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
    3WishesDun and Super Step like this.
  7. Crazy4Apps

Crazy4Apps Senior Member+

I'm sorry maybe I just don't get it. IMHO Something just isn't adding up. We have adoptions fees at $800 for a cross bred stallion that you can't do anything with, which means nobody has done anything with him yet. Why is the adoption fee so high?

I can buy a registered paint stallion, thats at least started under saddle for $600.

8. prairienights

prairienights Senior Member+

Beautiful horses, that roan stallion is gorgeous.

I don't know *anything* about the rescue "business" if you can even call it that. And I'm with a few others, why aren't these stallions gelded? I understand that they were rescued as stallions and the mares were bred, but why have they not been gelded by the rescue organization?

As far as how much is being charged, again, I don't know much about rescues, but it seems like this fee is reasonable to me. Yes, you could get a tobiano draft cross breed at an auction for some $150, but the rescue has put time and money into taking care of these specific horses. We all know how much it costs to care for a horse, and these people have cared for these horses. $800 isn't going to make them a profit, but it *might* help them cover the costs to keep these horses alive. Heck, go to an SPCA animal shelter and it costs $150 to adopt a shy unneutered little mutt puppy. You could get some breeds of purebred dogs for $150. These people don't have an unlimited supply of money, they can't rescue the horses, feed/farrier/vet/worm them until they're adopted, and then just give them away. If that were the case, rescue organizations wouldn't last long.

Yes, I've heard of rescues who breed their mares, never handle or geld anything, and try to sell their stock for $2000. This doesn't seem like the case here.

9. Crazy4Apps

Crazy4Apps Senior Member+

I do a little rescueing myself, but I'm in a different area. I know it's not cheep to keep horses, but they could at least put a little work on them. Make them more desierable. Seems like there counting on color, and history to get them adopted, but thats just my opinion. I don't know this program or the people so I really don't know. Thats just what I'm getting out of it. I could be completely wrong tho.

10. Trace

Trace Senior Member+

A lot of these rescues are just a cover for selling horses.

Just like people who breed dogs and call their puppy purchasers "adopters" paying an "adoption fee".

I am not saying that this is the case - but I bet these horses are still in Canada and there will be a hefty transport fee involved too.

Cowgirly and Chester like this.