People Training

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

I have been in twice weekly lessons (weather and soundness permitting) for the last 2 weeks, and will be continuing in lessons.
    We have discovered another source of Henry’s irritation. It is my incessant driving seat. What would you know? Having an independent seat is more than just not hanging on the horse’s face. It turns out anytime I put my leg on I am bracing against my seat. Making me have a driving aid which is incorrect and irritating for Henry.
    So far we are working on my upper body position and using my leg and only my leg as needed. Harder than I thought! But this is a historical problem for me. Probably 15 years ago a I could hear my trainer yelling at me to STOP DRIVING!!!! As the horse I was riding flew around the jump course. I guess I had no idea what she meant. :oops:
    Henry has shown marked improvement in his mood while we work on me. Anyone else struggle with a constant driving seat? :charge:

991DC3D3-18F1-4008-A88D-4A13617E71B7.jpeg
    EA282061-6726-4826-A11E-A9835014FFC4.jpeg
    B605D10C-0ED2-42F1-9726-7A6FFA7F54A7.jpeg

ginster and Pony123 like this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need to relax your core some, is all. Too tight in the middle, you are, and do not think about your legs. If your body position is correct, your legs automatically follow. Concentrating on leg puts your leg BEFORE your position. Do not do that.

Pony123 likes this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Learning to ride what is given/offered by the horse before trying to turn what the horse offers/gives into something else, is definitely something that is lacking in rider education. That is usually what happens when one ends up with a "hot seat" so it's called.

I'm glad to hear Henry is reacting in a positive way! The rider's position and aids should always been something considered in lessons :)

4. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

You're not lying. My 6 pack is ridiculous. :rofl:

manesntails likes this.