Penn Stae football slammed by NCAA

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HaveTheHeart, Jul 23, 2012.

1. HaveTheHeart

HaveTheHeart Senior Member

Has anybody else heard of this?

My mum came home and told me that they cut the football scholarships down from 20, and have all of these penalties on the football team at Penn State because of the molesting that went on the with kids.

I don't play "football" (I play soccer kind of football ;)) but I find this pretty ridiculous and unfair to the players. The coaches are the ones who let this happen. Not the players themselves. And I thought, last I heard, nothing *happened* to the players to go along with what happened to the kids. So why are their opportunities being limited?

I don't personally think crippling this programme is going to do much but hurt the kids' opportunities of playing university/professional football. What exactly are they accomplishing by doing this? I would understand if it was the programme the kids were in was ended, however it seems like it is talking about the university's sport itself, which doesn't make sense in my mind..

I'm not a football fan either, so it's not like this will be affecting my life. However if I were a university soccer player, and this kind of this happened to my university where the team and I were being penalised because of some nutty coaches and events I wasn't a part of, I would be pretty upset. I have goals of playing professional, and I'd find it completely unfair and I'm not even clear on their intentions.

Thoughts?

2. HaveTheHeart

3. nbd

nbd Senior Member+

Those players get to transfer without penalties. What was the NCAA supposed to do? The entire culture of that school needed to be smacked, and it was. It's not exactly an easy situation to handle.

6 people like this.
  4. Eugene Cassels

Eugene Cassels Senior Member+

I thought the school should have to pay for those scolarships to other schools if they chose to move to them .but probably as much as anything they vacated all the football wins all the way back to 1998 which is a direct slap in the face of joe.

1 person likes this.
  5. trish12

trish12 Senior Member+

I agree with the OP..I don't think the players should be punished for something they had nothing to do with..or even knew about !!! if it is the coaching staff then let that coaching staff go and start fresh...This has put a HUGE thorn in the nitty lions side and they wil be scared from it for YEARS to come... a shame .. :( I feel for that University now... $60 million they have to cough up for this mess... :(

6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

Tough call, either way. I agree that the students that lose out on scholarships are the ones really paying the price, but from what I understand, they can transfer to other schools that may offere scholarships. NCAA had to do something I don't know exactly what options they really have in cases like these. Those involved will be sued, I can guarantee that.

7. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member+

There is zero way to make things right and punish the ones responsible but not impact the students. Who would really want to play for that school anyway after all that came out?

2 people like this.
  8. Reitpferde

Reitpferde Senior Member+

Actually, they are doing the student athletes a favor by letting them chose another school. Penn State football is not allowed to play in any bowls for at least four years! That would do nothing, for an aspiring NFL player.

4 people like this.
  9. Jinba ittai

Jinba ittai Senior Member+

I agree that it's harsh, but it's NOTHING compared to what those kids went through. What that man got away with for years, and many of them ignored or supported (by denial) by his superiors? They deserve to have the entire program wiped for a few years. Yes, it affects the entire school. Too bad. They put a GAME above the health and safety of CHILDREN.

10. HaveTheHeart

I didn't see that they were able to transfer. That does make sense.

However what exactly is penalizing the team going to do? The fines make sense, and I know it was a terrible thing for the young boys to go through. But what is going to improve by them doing this to the football team?