Pecking order problem?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by brsand, Jan 12, 2018.

1. brsand

brsand Registered

I am new to horses. My aunt and uncle have two horses (Lucky and Icabod) and a family friend recently sold me her horse who is pastured with them (Duke). My problem is this:
    I decided that a good way to start bonding with Duke (16yo stallion) was to start working with him and trick training him. Also a good way (or so I read) to get him to stop trying to mug me every time I walk in the pasture. Any time I walk in, my Uncles stallion Lucky gets in between Duke and I. Duke runs from him and I can't do anything with him. I started bringing Duke into the round pen so that Lucky can't interfere. That's been going great and so far we have learned "touch" and are doing fairly well on "back" with a verbal cue and pointing at his chest (back is also something we have trouble with when I'm on him.)
    BUT, I'm worried that Lucky seeing me working (and treating) Duke, and Duke being singled out by me, may have increased tension between the two stallions. Lucky is sort of the top of the food chain. The other day, after I worked with Duke for about 30 minutes, my uncle came out to the pasture later and Duke tried to bite him for the first time ever. Lucky jumped in and ran Duke off.
    Admittedly, none of them have had enough attention for the last few weeks because the weather here has been TERRIBLE, so they are all a little grumpy now.
    Am I making the horsey tension worse? How do I resolve this problem while still being able to trick train Duke (and without overstepping and working with someone else's horse)?
    Thank you in advance! :)
    ~Bethany

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

The first problem is they are both stallions.

Kappa, Blue-Roan, Dona Worry and 6 others like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You're new to horses and want to work with a stallion and trick train him. Question here.. Are you certain he's a stallion and not a gelding? I'm asking as it's unusual to have intact ungelded stallions.

Edited added - you may find my question unusual, but I'd never recommend a newbie to be handling stallions. It can happen of course, but they're usually more of a handful temperament wise and better suited to a seasoned horseman or horsewoman.

DM_Mac and bobo and horses like this.
  4. miscetera

miscetera Senior Member

I'm sorry but if you're new to horses, you shouldn't be "trick training" a stallion.

bobo and horses likes this.
  5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

please tell me this is a joke?

DM_Mac, ginster and bobo and horses like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

You can't be serious. Really. You cannot be serious.

This is another thread where the best thing I can do is focus on stall cleaning.

ginster and bobo and horses like this.
  7. iloverockies

iloverockies Senior Member

I am sorry but you are way over your head on this situation. If you are a newbie to horses, you should not be handling any stallion. It is something that a newbie should not ever be doing.

DM_Mac and bobo and horses like this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Um...anybody else smell something fishy??? New to horses, trick training AND stallions. Sounds like the troll tri-fecta.

9. MuckMuck

MuckMuck Senior Member

I'm new to flying and a friend of mine just gave me a Lear Jet and I want to know what you do after you get the engines started?;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  10. Whoa

Whoa Senior Member

Hopefully you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. That should do it.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.