Pasture weed killer that is safe for horses

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by rileyboy, Aug 15, 2010.

1. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Any suggestions? We are moving our mares into a dry lot, but there are tons of bushy weeds that we'd like to cut down and then put some stuff on to prevent them from coming back, or atleast kill them temporarily.

My 3 yr old will probably find the weed killer, so it needs to be something that won't harm her.

Thanks in advance!

2. BOHICA Bay

BOHICA Bay Senior Member

By 3 year old are you referring to a horse or a human child? It's one thing to be looking for something with a short turn around time before turning animals out on it vs. a treatment that would be human safe. If it's the latter, I would suggest that it's time to create a secure location to keep chemicals, etc.

3. Temeraire

Temeraire Guest

Pasture Pro (we get ours from TSC). Works wonderful.

[​IMG]

4. Temeraire

Temeraire Guest

Well scratch my idea. I just now see your in Cali and Pasture Pro is a restricted chemical there.

5. CrazyHorseRanch

CrazyHorseRanch Senior Member

RoundUp makes a livestock safe version ;)

6. sparks879

sparks879 Senior Member

Look into RangeStar, also known as Brash.
    beth

7. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member+

2,4D, Ally, Banvel, Glyphosate, Paramitol, Tordon..... tons of stuff. Problem is that most of the good stuff can't be bought unless you have a private pesticide applicator's license. The best thing you can do is go talk to your county extension agent and have them help you identify what you have and then possibly recommend a chemical treatment. Then find a commercial ag applicator or landscaper to apply the chemicals for you. The application rate will cost about $4-6 per acre plus the chemical cost, which will be $8-15, depending on what you use.

8. MommaKayc

MommaKayc Senior Member

We use weed master.

9. rileyboy

rileyboy Senior Member+

Horse. :) Haha, sorry about the confusion! :)

10. GNC

GNC Senior Member

Do you get Graze-On down there? It works great! Even diluted is good enough for dandelions. For stuff like thistles, I'd use it full strength and keep the horses off for the recommended 24 hours.

I can confirm that I had one horse graze immediately after diluted Graze On (not my fault, I did not know that paddock had been done, and was trying to put him in there to keep him safe) but nevertheless, he suffered no ill effect. I only noticed he was in a treated paddock when the dandelions wilted three days later. :-/