Pasture seeding

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BossLady, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BossLady

BossLady Senior Member+

While I dont have a "pasture", I do have a 40x40ish foot run attached to one of my stalls. A couple years I planted rye grass in there when it got cooler, which worked great and all but now that the weather is getting warmer I dont think I will have much success with that.

Add to the fact I now use the run for a free choice roundbale dispenser (or will be, once we get rounds again!) Im not sure what kind of grass mix to throw in there. It doesnt have to be tall pretty grass, just something to hold the ground together a little better. will I be better off going to walmart and picking up a "lawn" mixture, or anywhere I can get an actual horse pasture mix?

2. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

Go to your local feed store or TSC, they carry pasture mix seed ;)

3. BossLady

BossLady Senior Member+

is there a specific mix I should look for?

4. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member

The staff at the feed stores are generally more knowlegeble about what would work best for you. I use a mix made specifically for my area, but you have a differant climate there in Texas. Or you can check with your local Ag extension.

5. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Call your County Extension Agency - they will tell you what grows best where you are, and how to set up the ground for success, meaning lime, fertilizer, etc.

Don't count on local "pasture mix" products. Around here, they usually contain things like Timothy that just don't grow well, so no appropriate for our area.

6. PaintedCavalry

PaintedCavalry Senior Member

I wouldn't buy any "pasture mix" ****. Sorry, but it's a lot of money for something you can get for cheaper. Go to your Ace Hardware or other place that carries gardening supplies. Ask them what grows best locally to throw out some seed for.

Here in NE FL, we seed with either Bermuda or Pensacola Bahia. Bahia is more expensive, but a better grower in my area so we went ahead and spent the extra money to reseed our pastures with the Bahia.

ETA:
    Contacting your Ag Extension agent is another good thing, but here I found they were more geared towards gardening than they were to maintaining and growing pastures. Their website did have information that helped though.

7. BossLady

BossLady Senior Member+

thanks everyone :)

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

I think Ag Extension guys vary a lot with location. Here, ours are VERY good with pasture/grass/sod maintenance, though you do have to be a little picky about who you ask in regards to it for *horses*, as they tend to think cattle (not sure why, since our county has the most horses of any county in the state LOL).

9. BossLady

BossLady Senior Member+

I will definitely be sure to let them know this is for horses and not general live stock. I looked up the number but they do not open for another hour and a half. at the moment my paddock is mostly a sandy base - is that going to be an issue? it never was for the rye grass, but a couple people at the barn have suggested I bring in dirt instead.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

The type of soil does make a difference, as not all grasses do well in sandy soil, not all do well in clay soil, etc. The Bermudas tend to do very well in sandy areas - it's the staple in places like FL where it's ALL sand LOL