Pasterns Help me!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Blazer2015, Oct 11, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

She's built that way. You have a horse with too long and too sloping pasterns. This makes her comfortable to ride, but she isn't built to carry a rider doing hard, fast work.

Just do trails with her and don't put heavy people on her, she will be fine.

Grulla Mustang, is she?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Mechanics of a horses leg at the trot

turnnburnlynx and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yes, if you see a slow mo of a typical TB racing it'll freak you out if you didn't know better.

Those are some long, sloping pasterns, but just trail ride and nothing strenuous like dressage or jumping (barrels etc. also) and you'll be fine.

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Is she gaited?

[​IMG]
    Her feet are very out of balance with too much toe as you already noticed. She does have longish pasterns but she does not appear to be landing heel first as she should. This will exacerbate longish pasterns. I can't really tell anything about her pastern angles because her hooves are so out of balance. Long pasterns will cause more "sink".

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree that proper trimming is extra important with a horse that has long pasterns. Any extra strain on the tendons will be tough for her so a proper trim on a regular schedule is key to maintaining soundness. I also agree that she's fine for basic work, trails, pleasure riding, that sort of thing. She's a pretty thing too.

Just take good care of her feet, be alert to signs of soreness or heat, and enjoy her.

Arem, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  6. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Circle C likes this.
  7. mymarespet

mymarespet Senior Member+

Bellalou, are you saying you would trim a long pastern horse different than a average length pastern? Or are you just emphasizing regular, perhaps a shorter trim cycle is important?

8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

No, not necessarily different. But yes, keeping up with trims on a regular basis - always important but especially so on a horse with leg conformation issues.

ginster and mymarespet like this.