Part-Time Workers...How Much Do You Make a Month?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Aryiah, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Aryiah

Aryiah Senior Member+

This is just so I can do some calculations and figuring and budgeting and stuff.

I'm looking for a part-time job. Reasons are my own, BUT to give me a BETTER idea of how well my reasons will work, how much do those of you who work part-time generally make in a month?

I don't care about how much you make an hour, but about how much you bring home in a month :)

That is all! Aha.

Oh, and in other news.

I'm officially 18 :D

2. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

That's going to directly affect the amount you make in a month though! When I worked part time when I was your age and only made minimum wage, I only brought home about $400 in a month. I work part time right now and bring in more like $2500 a month....obviously the wage you're making is going to affect the amount you bring home a lot more than the fact that it's part time vs. full time. I actually make more working part time currently than I did a couple years ago working full time!

3. ccutchins

ccutchins Full Member

Im a college student and work in a bed and breakfast doing catering and dinner partys. I make around 700 to 1,100 a month. Work 1-3 days a week. also cleaning houses make 400 a month off of that.

Use to have a waitress job in a Oyster Bar place, I made 100 dollars everytime I went to work! It was nice but the place closed about two years ago when things started getting bad :(

4. Aryiah

Aryiah Senior Member+

That's true! I just didn't want people to feel like they needed to tell me how much they made hourly, in case they didn't want to :)

I do know hourly wages make a difference in how much you bring home, but getting a rough idea of how much people make monthly does help! If they feel like telling me how much they make an hour, that's their choice :)

I guess I should have clarified that!

5. sirius-dressage

sirius-dressage Senior Member

Yes...I went from $8.25 at a part time retail job and made about $400 a month and then I worked odd jobs mucking stalls, riding horses, petsitting, etc. to make an extra $300-500 a month.

My first job graduated from college though I am at $14.25 an hour and bringing home between $1200-2300 a month depending on how many days I work.

So, hourly wage does matter a whole lot...and also the number of hours you work. You could work 39 hours a week and still be "part time"...or you could work 1 hour a week. Minimum wage just went up to $7 something an hour, so I would expect for you first job to be around the $7/hr mark.

6. nixalba

nixalba Senior Member

Well, minimum wage here is currently $9.50/hour CAN. March 29, it will be $10.25/hour

It's decent except for that the government does other stupid things to take your money and the cost of living is very high.

Take it from me. DO NOT get a job in retail! Look for something in a hospital or nursing home or maybe a desk receptionist. In my area, they usually make more than minimum to start.

7. Aryiah

Aryiah Senior Member+

Oooh, I'd love to do desk reception work. I don't know why!

I'll definitely try those venues as well :)

8. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

at my old job before I got laid off I made almost $100.00 but I only worked weekends from noon till 7:30 or 8:00pm. I made 8.00 an hour but I also worked at another place (concert hall) making 8:25 an hour which would come to around 150 a day plus the secret tips which could amount to 200.00 a night so I made about 350.00 a day. But that day was from noon till 2am the next day and only once a month and only in the summer.
    hope I didn't confuse you.

9. BootsOn

BootsOn Senior Member

I work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week and make about $600 or more a month. The pay is fine but I really need more hours so am possibly looking for another job. Anyone hiring? :)

10. Aryiah

Aryiah Senior Member+

This may be personal, but about how much do you make an hour?

That will probably be my scenario until my car gets fixed (getting dropped off and picked up from work and such).

That much a month would help out a ton. It's not a lot, but it's not too little :)