parelli

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Krystan, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

I wanted to know what you guys thought of parelli's system. Has anyone used it or been to a clinic. What do you think?

2. ginger

ginger Full Member

I think that it is way too expensive, but it looks like a good system if you are lucky enough to afford it.

3. tn walker

tn walker Senior Member+

I've audited at a few clinics. I like his basic ideas and approaches. As long as you don't get too sucked in on all of the advertising. You don't REALLY need all of that stuff :rolleyes:

4. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

Alright. Cool. Thanks.

5. monica-n-shiloh

monica-n-shiloh Senior Member+

I think its ok, but he trys to sell himself WAY too much. Makes it look like hes the only one who can do what he does. Sorry, but hes not lol.
    Also, you can do what he does without buying all his products.
    Overall, I dont have any major problems with him though.

6. EventingDayDream

EventingDayDream Senior Member+

I think it has a good basis. Once you get to the upper levels I think there are some kinda strange things they have you do, but I guess they have a reaosn for it... I just don't know why anyone would want to hold their horses tounge! lol

7. Julia Isabella

Julia Isabella Full Member

There's not just parelli. there's monty roberts "join up" method too. parelli is more for horses that have been used to humans etc, monty's approach is more towards "starting" a green, untouched horse. My teacher does "natural horsemanship" and I have learned it, what you do is take what works well for you and your horse together, from both sides, and combine it. All you are doing is re-teaching the language your horse already knows-he has just forgotten because he is not wild anymore and doesn't depend on the equine language much anymore as humans have interveined and used forceful, breaking spirit methods. You are showing him u understand "Equine", and he will then begin to understand too. Through this method you are showing him u are the matriarch-the matriarch is the leader mare of a wild herd, and all the horses respect and obey her. What you are doing is taking that place as the "matriarch" to your horse. you will develop a huge bond, as he will trust you and will be willing to please you.
    I got pretty far with my gelding, he's a chestnut quarter horse x thoroughbred. i was riding with no tack, but just a rope around his neck. we were doing ground work-all you need to use is a rope halter and a training 2m lead (with the carbon-firbe inside the rope)-that gives the horse more sensitivity to your evey move. i had him cantering at my shoulder as i ran along side him without any tension on the rope what so ever. as soon as i halted strongly, he too would skid to a screeming stop, and look at me and ask for a pat. he used to run away when you went to go catch him-now he runs after me in the paddock, and waits for me to put on his halter. I combine all of this into my training. In dressage he's now very soft mouthed (and he used to be a sporting horse!), responds to everything i do or say. and i praise him for it. trust me, this is the BEST way to train or to combine in with your normal training and believe me you will achieve great results!! -it's right that you don't need all of that parelli stuff....all you need is common sense, a rope halter and a carbon-fibre 2M training lead. if you want to know anything just ask me and I'll be glad to help.

-Julia Isabella

by the way i'm new here so hello all!!

horse_on

8. Krystan

Krystan Full Member

Alright. Thanks. My guy is hard to catch too.

9. caballus

caballus Senior Member

Hmmmm -- Parelli huh? Parelli has a great system to teach people about the MECHANICS of moving a horse around. His step by step program is very clear, concise and easy to follow. BUT, he leaves "feel" out of the equation and to me, that's what the relationship between any two beings is all about. Learning to "feel" what's going on between the two and being able to blend energies.

As for Monty Roberts and his "Matriarch" of the herd. He is correct with that but only 1/2 so. The ALPAH mare (what he calls the Matriarch) is the boss mare of an entire herd. She generally stands alone and is quite unpredictable and nasty. None of the other horses want to stand around her cause she may kick or bite or drive away arbitrarily. Her job is to tell the rest of the herd when to move, how fast, where to move, etc. The herd is broken up into sub-groups and each one of these sub-groups have a LEAD mare. This mare is more like a team leader than a dictator (alpha mare.) Its the lead mare's job to watch out for her group but she does it with predictable, considerate and friendly ways. She can be found wither-nibbling with another herd member, or gently directing another horse's feet in one direction or the other. But the difference between the ALPHA and the LEAD mares are distinct and quite contrary to one another. I have several mares here - one is definitely an alpha mare and one is a lead mare. The alpha can be quite dangerous at times if she feels threatened. Working with her is like working with the counterpart of a stallion which, in essence, she is. Rarely will any of the other horses hang out with her. They stick with another mare who is the lead mare. She is quite safe to be around and easy to work with. Personally, I'd prefer to be in the LEAD mare's position in rank than the ALPHA (Matriarch) position. I don't like my horses to be afraid of me -- I like them to want to be with me and be willing to please.

Just my two cents here ... *VBG*

--caballus

10. caballus

caballus Senior Member

I meant to add, too, that working towards gaining the lead mare ranking with your horses is actually taking your relationship to a higher level. Attaining the ALPHA mare level would be like becoming a CEO of corporation - YOU'RE the BOSS. Attaining the LEAD mare level is like entering into a marriage of equal partnership with each partner giving 110% willingly.

*S* --cab