Panacur Power Pak...the good...the bad....and the ugly?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by believer, Apr 17, 2007.

1. believer

believer Full Member

Okay so someone recommended that I give my horse the 5 day supply of this stuff and I know NOTHING about it. Not sure why I would give my girl a five day supply of wormer for any reason though. Have any of you used this and if so what did you think about it?

2. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

Panacur powerpac has directions. Give the proper dose daily for 5 days straight. I personally dont waste my money on Panacur but it's good for colts. Worms are rather resistant to the drug. I use Ivermec, Quest, Strongid and Tapeworm with Combo Care. Combo care will usually get everything in one dose and you don't have to reworm with it for like 80 ish days! Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. believer

believer Full Member

Well we just wormed her about two weeks ago so I'm not sure why this person told me to do it again with this stuff. She's at a training barn right now and will be coming home a week from this coming Saturday. She has lost some weight at this place because of nervousness :eek: and being ridden more,:D she's also had her feed changed from oats to pellets. I'm going to change her feed YET again when she gets home because I don't care for the stuff she's getting now. I think that may be part of the reason I was told to give her a 5 day dose of the Panacur. I don't want to do it though if we just wormed her 2 weeks ago. I don't have or want to spend the money on something if I don't need to. SO CONFUSING!:eek2:

4. AQHA1972

AQHA1972 Senior Member+

I was told by my vet to do the same thing, but I decided against it and gave him the ComboCare instead. Alot easier and a lot cheaper, and I think would give the same results.

5. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member

I have never seen adverse effects using Panacur, it is usually recomended for horses that are wormy and the worming shedule is unknown.

I would worry more about ulcers in a horse that has been in training and is now dropping weight. Also Probious would probably really help, her gut function may be comprimised with all the feed switching.

1 person likes this.
  6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

The Panacur Powerpak (double dose of fenbendazole for 5 days) targets the encysted strongyles, something the others don't get.

You take the regular dose for your horse, based on his weight, double that, and give that 5 days in a row.

Fenbendazole (Panacur) is one of the milder, to horses, dewormer chemicals out there.

Moxidectin isn't the same, and the only difference between Quest and ComboCare is the addition of praziquantel, which targets tapeworms.

7. BettyBootsy

BettyBootsy Banned

This is just my 2 sense so take it or leave it just thorwing so idea at ya. Save your power pack and give her a full dose of combo care. Get her on some Probios which will help with the gut, immune system and more. Its awesome stuff and natural. It's also cheap. Get the powder that you add into the feed. What kind of pellet do they have her on? Change in feed is bad and should be done very slowly. Oats are not a good source of nutrition. Personally I wouldn't go back to oats. To help her pick up some weight you could up do several things. I'm not big on beet pulp or rice bran but the have some fat adders to feed. Weight Builder is cheap and good doesn't make em hot. I always add alfalfa like 2 flakes a day. Calf Manna I also use. There are a ton of different things and everyone has different opinions but for sure I would find out what they have her on pellet wise and gradually work her over over several weeks. Good luck! And weight issues starts with worm issues then teeth. If you haven't had the teeth done in the last 6 months it would be wise to have them checked again. Stress cause ulcer which causes weight loss. Just because you wormed a few weeks ago doesn't mean you do or don't still have a worm load. The actual way to tell is to take some pooh to the vet for a fecal count. If it were me I would Combo care her and call worms done. Check teeth and add probios and weight builder to her feed. Good luck! :)

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Oats are a very good source of nutrition - the full profile of amino acids.

Are they a good source of FULL nutrition? No ;) But then again, hardly anything is.

Rice bran and beet pulp can be wonderful things for many horses in gaining weight with "natural" feedstuffs.

But, there are many ways to skin the cat, and yes, you do need to rule out physical issues that are preventing weight gain. The Power Pak can be the deciding factor - it's expensive and useless to feed the worms ;)

9. Ryle

Ryle Senior Member

Powerpac is recommended to treat encysted strongyles, that's it's only additional benefit over using Ivermectin. However, it's expensive and takes 5 days to do the same thing that a single dose of moxidectin (Quest, Quest Plus or Combo Care) will do. It's also been shown that using Panacur Powerpac causes severe tissue damage in the GI tract when the encysted larva die as compared to using moxidectin where no tissue damage and inflammation was caused.

If you dewormed just recently, there isn't any reason to deworm again (unless you used fenbendazole in which case there is a good chance that the deworming was ineffective due to high incidence of parasite resistance to the normal dosing of that drug). If you want to treat for encysted parasites, you would be better off to wait until your next regular deworming and treat with one of the products containing moxidectin.

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member

Interesting, I've never heard of this side effect with the PP. Why would the fenbendazole cause this reaction, doing the job over a slower period of time, and the moxidectin wouldn't, doing the job all at once? Just curious. It's also good to know that moxidectin gets this encysted stage as well - I didn't know that. I'll still never use moxidectin though :)