Paint vs Pinto.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by DB4L90, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DB4L90

DB4L90 Senior Member+

Hey everyone thanks for checking out my thread, i have a question. What is the difference between a paint and a pinto? Thanks for any comments.:D

2. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

3. DressageGirl

DressageGirl Banned

Besides that thread...the main difference (correct me if Im wrong anyone)

Paint- is exactly that, looks like it has been splashed with colour or a paint brush. Therefore has random patches of different sizes

Pinto- larger less random patches of colour, covering more area. Looks less painted on.

Remember watching old cowboy/indian movies on TV, the warpaint the Indians used to paint onto their horses as decoration.....to me this is the origin/reason for paints.

Since then of course it has become far more sophisicated, breeding, genetics, standards wise

4. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Sorry but that's not right at all. ;) The terms have nothing at all to do with the colors OR patterns. It's all a seperation of breeds. :) Paints are only horses that can be registered with the APHA. That's it. There are even solid paints...

5. DressageGirl

DressageGirl Banned

How did paints originate then?????

6. DressageGirl

DressageGirl Banned

I do have a vague understanding of the "breed" aspect pertaining to pintos v paints (even though it may sound as though I dont).....:blushing:

But, way back at day 1, how did paint horse come about???

Anyone got any history on that??

7. Lou3

Lou3 Senior Member+

The paint horse originated as a crop out quarter horse. The Qh registry didnt register horses with excessive amount of white so the paint horse breed society was set up to cater for these horses.
    Pinto is just a colour, a horse of any breed can be a pinto, it just refers to a horse of "broken" (ie not solid) colour.

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Banned

9. pavilionpony

pavilionpony Senior Member

I always thought a paint had to either be a quarter horse or a thoroughbred to be eligible for registration, and a pinto could be any breed, including mixed to be registered as pinto.

Pinto is solid blocks of color and a paint is splashes of color, or broken color patterns although I do believe some pintos can be double registered both pinto and paint depending on parentage lines.

10. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

As has been said, Paint is a breed, Pinto is a color.

As to how the breed originated, just like any other breed, people liked the color and markings, and bred to achieve them.