Pain of unknown origin

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by SEAmom, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

The problem here seems to be (if that other video is from 2015, the darker gray colour of the horse in that one indicates that it has to be from some years back) that this horse has been ridden with the orthopedic issue going on for years, while it slowly got worse and worse. Possibly something that could have been fixed with a month of stall rest and meds and half a year on pasture holiday at the point of that video from 2015 and is now possibly aggravated to the point that no treatment will make this horse riding fit again = horse has to be retired.

An inexperienced horse owner might not realize that the resistance is that earlier video is pain related, but a trainer I pay to provide professional level horse expertise should see that this horse is not acting up because it's spunky and testing the rider but has some physical discomfort going on and that this needs to be fixed before any more training efforts can be made.

An inexperienced owner (and through that the horse) got victim of an incompetent trainer and obviously incompetent vets. (A vet who suggests a horse that lame at the walk to be ridden in any way, shape or form shouldn not be allowed to work with animals)

Rhythm 'n Blues and ginster like this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I agree though I would be hesitant to call the op an inexperienced horse owner....eventhough this issue seems to have been going on a while.
    I think this is more a case of having too much faith in the trainer and trusting them completely, maybe over the own instincts...
    Either way, I hope OP can haul the horse to a vet clinic for a through check up to find what´s going on..

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Definitely. And one that won't stop looking when they have found one problem because his horse looks like it could have multiple issues going on. Every single joint needs to be examined.

ginster likes this.
  4. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

After watching the video, and reading everything, I feel like it' time for an MRI or nuclear scintigraphy. It would save you money in the long run,instead of going first to radiographs, then progressing to higher diagnostics.

@slc - I agree with you about the adequan, it is suppose to be used before damage sets in, since it doesn' help produce synovial fluid, it helps fortify what's there

ginster likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Faith in trainers in spite of worsening lameness is usually due to inexperience. Some people have ridden for many years but still have inexperience in this specific situation.

I worked with a trainer who had a very good eye for lameness, he knew when horses were lame, in fact he had such a good eye that he could see it developing for a long time, well before it was even diagnosable.

When a student's horse was lame he would tell the student the horse was not lame.

He was also very good at getting on a horse and riding it in such a way that most of the lameness would be masked; he'd ride the horse and tell the student the horse appeared to be lame because the rider was riding incorrectly. Improve your riding and it will go away.

And in fact, he'd say very freely 'you could get a vet out' but then he'd say vets know nothing (despite us having the best 'leg man' in the US down the road) and that they'd probably find nothing and it would be really expensive. So he would have 'plausible deniability' if anyone challenged him on it.

Watching this process was like watching Obi-Wan Kenobi in the first Star Wars movie, saying 'these aren't the droids you want', waving his hand and people magically doing his bidding. In other words it was pretty weird to watch him do his thing.

He wasn't the only one. A friend of mine regaled me with tales of other trainers doing same. In one case, she said that a gal informed her that so-and-so had 'miraculously' made her horse sound 'through correct training' and friend stood there in amazement as gal walked away with the lamest dang horse she ever saw.

The problem is that some people are very persuasive.

I am not sure as we obviously could not have an honest conversation about this, but I believe his attitude was that if the horse is 'tough', the horse will 'get over it' and if he didn't, he could be sold and replaced with another horse, trainer gets commission on both horses.

The trainer laughed about riding the two main horses he had to compete on which were owned by a relative. He loved to talk about how they were both lame and he rode them anyway. Why? His relative said to ride them.

I am not suggesting the OPs trainer did this. I am saying it happens. The trainer's self interest (keep money coming in for training/lessons, encourage you to show the horse so he gets trailering/schooling fees/advertising for his business) can bias his point of view about the condition of the customer's horse.

For this reason, many people do not trust their trainer to evaluate their horse's soundness, they work with a vet to do that.

A good trainer is VERY sensitive to 'uneven strides' and works openly, transparently and honestly in cooperation with vets and farriers and horse owners, always in the horse's and owner's best interests. I have not worked with many who were like that and I value that ability very highly. But when you find someone like that he or she is a real gem.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    ginster likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

doublelranch and Alsosusieq2 like this.