Oves journey.

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Orlandotrails, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Orlandotrails

Orlandotrails Senior Member

Ove is a coming three year old, black gelding. He's suspected of being a twh, but I think he's a cross. He's gaited, but trots naturally ( never seen him pace) He's 14/14.1 ( last measured about a month ago, he could be taller now)

His back story: in January I found him On Craigslist. The listing showed a black 18month old colt with a big worm belly and a heavy winter coat, from quite a distance away. The woman selling him wanted 150. He was unhandled. That's all I knew. But he was one of those horses that just stick in your head. I kept finding myself stareing at his add. She told me if I could pick him up by that weekend I could have him for 50$. So that Sunday, my awesome dad picked up me and my horse trailer and we drove 4.5 hours to get him.

What I picked up was a 12.2, 475 lb wormy, skinny, terrified little thing with long feet, fungus all over, but a very kind eye, and absolutely zero malice.

Come to find out, in October of 2015, he had been in a kill pen in la, sold to a girl in florida, and after quarantine was picked up by a hauler with an empty trailer. She hauled him to two other kill pens, and he got mixed up with a bunch of horses who hadn't been quarantined. When they got to the florida line (10 days later than expected) the hauler informed the buyer that he'd need to be re-quarantined. The buyer could no longer take him because of that, so the kill pen refunded the buyer and told the hauler to bring him back. Instead, she took him to Wellington and hid him. Since he was stolen property at this point, the kill pen listed him as such. When I bought him, the hauler who had stolen him told me he came from a kill pen, but didn't specify which one. She had kept him in a quarter acre dry lot, by himself, for the last three months, and not touched him. And according to the kill pen, he was thinner the day I picked him up than the day he left the pen. The kill pen at first wanted him back ( stolen property and all that) but after seeing the pictures I sent of when I picked him up in January, and what he looked like in March, they decided I could keep him.

3 days after getting him, he was halter broke and leading. He had his vet check, and we started to get rid of the worms. Three weeks later and he had his first hoof trim( very proud moment for me, he was an angel for the farrier, who said he would be happy if all his younger clients were as well behaved) We did basic groundwork ( yielding the fore and hind, backing, lunging at the walk and a little trotting.) I started getting him used to being cinched with a bare back pad, then he wore his first saddle ( which was a totally traumatic experience for my skittish little man), and he's had a bridle+ bit In his mouth a couple times. In April he was turned out on the pasture with the big horses, and has mostly been left to be a young horse.

But the spring approaches. I pulled him up today and did a little run through of everything he's learned. He did great. Not an ounce of fear, just a tiny bit of baby horse attitude. So this weekend will be a reintroduction to being a people horse...and Monday starts training.

The first thing will be the saddle. A couple days with it on in the round pen, then ponied in it for a month. Then ground driving for a while....come february, he'll get his first ride.
    This thread will mostly be about keeping up with him ( and holding myself accountable when I skip a day or two). But I welcome any advice and commentary. The first two pictures are the day I got him. The third is two weeks later, when his worm belly started to go down. The fourth is at the end of March ( roughly 70 days after the first photo.) The next is at the end of april, and the last is from June. 12469434_1667546493462035_4710491598323465475_o.jpg 11872192_1667546486795369_860915184995127438_o.jpg 10636608_1670264619856889_291062988294939316_o.jpg 12525571_1684535038429847_6216468331833930910_o.jpg 13055640_1701515553398462_6380585774368477540_o.jpg 13697051_1732244806992203_5627963832958403967_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. horse_mom

horse_mom Senior Member

No pictures :(
    My two year old is coming in from being turned out tomorrow so I am looking forward to your thread!

3. Orlandotrails

Fixed! Sorry, got em up now.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He looks like a Walking horse.

If I were you. I would not saddle him. I'd put a harness on and ground drive him AFTER doing flexion lessons in first a rope halter, then in a snaffle. This way, you have him used to a cinch and something on his back, have him steering and driving and then when you introduce the HEAVIER saddle, you have a "no prob Bob" moment.

Friesiangirl likes this.
  5. Orlandotrails

We've done the flexing with a halter, he gives readily. I haven't worked with him on it with a bit yet, but I'm planning on using a side pull to start him, so I'm not rushing into getting in His mouth. I don't have a harness...and the saddle I'm using is an old synthetic, about 12lbs. In the past, once they were wearing a saddle, I'd just clip the lines on, run them through the stirrups and start working.

Long lining...I think is the word I should have used?

I'm hoping he has a nice running walk in there somewhere...I have a video of him gaiting on a lunge line....

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Looks like he's trying to do a running walk. Hard to tell, the video is so short.

7. Orlandotrails

He'd be the first gaited horse I've ever owned, so it'll be an adventure. Luckily I do have a friend who's ridden gaited for The last 12 years, she's offered to help me if I run into any gait issues.

manesntails likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

He is lovely. Nice save.
    I love the transformation in his carriage and expression almost more than in his health and weight!

ofauxaffliction likes this.
  9. Orlandotrails

Thank you! The hardest thing to teach him was that it's safer to stay with me than run off. He used to take off at the snap of a twig, or a bird squawking ( part of the first time in a saddle drama). Now I've got it to where he'll jump away, but then give me both eyes and you can almost see him asking "your sure it won't eat me?". He's a scaredy cat through and through, but he really does try. And that's all I need to know. If he's got the will, I've got the way.

TheSnowLeopard and Rainbowaholic like this.
  10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

He's adorable! And definatley has that Walker head bob. Can't wait to see updates!